[Festival] Let's celebrate responsible hosting together!

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

[Festival] Let's celebrate responsible hosting together!

image1.jpg

Screenshot 2022-09-02 at 08.41.00.png

This article is part of the Community Center's Festival of Hospitality 2022 . The original topic was posted in the Italian-speaking Community Center by Claudia331, and we have translated it below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I started hosting, I was still a full-time social worker. My professional experience and background stem from that world, and, for me, hosting is all about offering a space, a Home, to people in need of a period of restoration, rebooting, peace and quiet, and time for themselves, for varying periods of time.

At this Festival, I would like to celebrate all the Hosts who, through this platform, give the gift of a relaxing place to recharge to people who, for different reasons, need a Home to stay in for period of time, whether that be long or short.

I use the term "gift" because the aspect of special care for the person far exceeds the price of the Home. In fact, Hosts who welcome their guests with solidarity often feel deeply fulfilled. Sometimes they choose to do so by refunding costs or offering the accommodation for free. 

I write the word "Home" with a capital letter because that dimension of hospitality and care for the person makes the listing a real Home, more than just an "accommodation."

For the Festival, therefore, I like the idea of drafting a list of ways in which our Homes can become a new and important resource for people going through hard times or a period of transition or change. 

And so, thanks to all the responsible Hosts who, in addition to tourists and travelers, welcome into their Homes people forced to flee their countries for reasons of war or natural disasters, people who need to tend to or be close to the sick, people who have self-isolated to protect their loved ones, people working abroad away from their families, separated mothers and fathers looking for a space to enjoy moments of peace and quiet with their children, disabled people in need of periods of autonomy, people whose homes are under renovation, families with frail members who need special care, very young people having their first experience away from home, people leaving communities to learn to live independently... 

The list is long and doesn't stop there. I have experienced some of these "special hostings" and learned a lot from fellow Hosts who have already put them into practice.

What do you think? Isn't this a huge added benefit behind the platform? What better occasion than the Festival of Hospitality to have responsible hosting recognized along with the social impact that the platform can generate? 

But how do you become a responsible Host? 

It has to come somewhat naturally to you: there must be the willingness to go beyond tourist accommodation, to be open to requests that concern different needs, which are more or less explicit, perhaps told to you during the stay, if the guest finds fertile ground with their Host, if they feel at home. Through the normal booking channel, a non-tourist target can then come along, attracted by the description of the Home, the reviews, the location or by word of mouth. This experience, which is also useful for your low-season business, can be of great value to the guest and rewarding for the Host, and may even turn into repeat business over time.

To help people who are interested in taking that extra step and experiencing responsible hosting for people in need of temporary emergency accommodation (escape from war, natural disasters, civil rights injustices, etc.), I recommend exploring the Airbnb.org Foundation platform, created in 2020, following on from the long experience of Airbnb Open Homes.

You'll find all the information you need to list your space for free or with a nightly rate refund, by following 4 steps (1. Offer your space for free or with a refund, 2. If you ask for a refund, you will have to indicate how much it amounts to per night, 3. Who you can host: People impacted by disasters or refugees, 4. Review and confirm booking conditions). Booking requests are always reviewed and approved by the Airbnb team. Availability is linked to your calendar, so it does not overlap with ordinary business. Often, there is a nonprofit that supports Hosts in welcoming those in need. Hosts are guaranteed assistance from the platform once a booking is confirmed.

Best wishes to all for this new experience in responsible hosting!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

4 Replies 4
Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Claudia331 you have a big heart to share with others in need. Thank you for your article. 

Claudia331
Host Advisory Board Member
Lecco, Italy

Thanks to you @Lorelle3 for your kind feedback 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Claudia331 What a lovely example of showing your kind spirit and heart. I think many hosts wish they could share their place for little or no monies but its not possible. Many have hearts of empathy and care but for special circumstances they are unable to house families in need. Thank you for your heart, sharing and being open to tell us about what and why you do what you do. Wonderful. many Blessings to you, Clara

Claudia331
Host Advisory Board Member
Lecco, Italy

Dear @Clara116  thanks for your kind feedback! I agree with you!

With this article I want also to thank all Hosts who give their heart, their time and their attention even if they received their payment, because they need. This approach is not obvious and represents the added value of this platform ❤️