Damages from guest : next guest coming tomorrow

Pierre196
Level 2
Vienna, Austria

Damages from guest : next guest coming tomorrow

Hello guys, 

I need your guidance as I don't know what to do. 

I have a listing of a full flat with a deposit. 

I got called in on Monday for a leakage in the flat I rent on airbnb in the kitchen. 

I arrived as aggred at 6am with a worker to fix this and then they told me 'there is another problem in the living room'. I discovered my antique couch (around 100 years old) seriously damaged, two back feet broken. The wooden floor under the feet was damaged as well... 

The first guest told me it happened when they were not here then one other guest arrive to take part in the conversation and tell me her husband hurt his back and then another version. Etc. 

I contacted airbnb which was very helpful and told me to get a quote. 

I couldn't get one on Monday but as airbnb advised me to ask for a demand on deposit that day. I did a first demand at that time. 

Today at checkout I noticed other problems, they broke the shower head handle bar (not sure how to say it in English) and more importantly scratched very badly the wooden floor of the entrance by using the flat iron board in a careless way. I want to say that the entrance is covered with a big rug, so it really felt that they did not care at all. 

One of my rule and I say it at checkin is to be mindful of the wooden floor. 

Anyway I did cancel my first demand on deposit to create a new one including all damages and also I got a quote for the couch repair so I included it. 

Now they have 72hours to respond and if it's positive it would be perfect but I don't think they will. It didn't felt like this. 

I saw that after the 72 hours I have 14 days to ask airbnb to chip in to resolve this issue or until next check in. 

My problem is that I have guest coming tomorrow. 

What should I do? What are the different possibilities and what does they implies? 

I am very worried. 

I hope you guys could help me. 

Also note that I updated by email my contact on airbnb of the whole process and ask her to call me but so far nothing. Tried to call the emergency line but no response yet and sent a. Message through the method described to contact an expert around. 20 minutes ago. 

Best, 

Pierre 

3 Replies 3

@Pierre196:

Once the claim has been made and you have thoroughly documented the damages with good quality photographs you can repair the damage and make the flat presentable for your next guests.

Thanks for your advice. 

I did do the check-in with the next guest and did not cancel their reservation. 

Also I managed to get airbnb over the phone and the person assigned to me on my case called me before my other guests to explain that it was fine to receive new guest as long as the first demand for money was made. 

Now the guests have refused the demand so I am still unsure of what will happen next but apparently I will now be transferred to a new department. 

@Pierre196, is the apartment ready to receive the new guest?  I'm not sure if you're waiting for the money to fix everything or if you fixed everything already.

In Air BNB, you have to have a cushion of cash for these situations.

As long as the bathroom is in working order, the place is clean, you'll be fine.  Let your guests know that the floors are being resanded but you can't do that with guests there as the dust in the air is not good to breathe.