Commitment rate - 96% which is keeping me from a Super Host

Len5
Level 2
San Carlos, CA

Commitment rate - 96% which is keeping me from a Super Host

I had canceled a reservation due to concerns about it being a legitimate request.  I had canceled the request within 24 hours of my accepting it and well before they were suppose to arrive.   The mobile phone they gave me after I accepted was from Cuba (though they were from California on their profile) and they wouldn't answer my calls to discuss the process.   It was a new host at the time and didn't understand all the processes and was a little paranoid about fraud.   Now, I have a 96% commitment rate that is keeping me from being a superhost.   I have sent in a message to AirBnB at the time (might have been after 14 days) to contest the cancellation.

I went to the canceled reservation in the History and it doesn't look like I can do anything from this area.

Help me great community of Super Users!

Cheers,
Len

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Help you how?

Hosts have no control over what BNB does.

Unfortunately it sounds like you may have ruahed into hosting without taking the time to understand how BNB worked. You may have been right to have concerns,  but you could have called BNB to discuss and/or checked out the implications of cancelling.

You then waited two weeks before contacting BNB about the penalties.

Don't worry too much about Superhost status. Concentrate on having lovely photo's,  a great description, providing fantastic customer service  and hopefully you will get fab  reviews and ratings from your guest - this will be much more important for potenital guests than a superhost status.

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

once you accept a booking request and it gets subsequently confirmed by Airbnb, it's a done deal. the 24 hours only come into place BEFORE, it is the time frame you have to answer a request with "accept" or "decline". Best is to  study all this stuff in depth. here is a good starting point for the  terminology used : https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/363/what-does-each-reservation-status-mean

Gary-and-Katia0
Level 2
California, United States

Don't expect any help on that from Airbnb.  They won't ever change anything even if it is their fault.  We had internet problems with Comcast so we changed email addresses before going to Mexico.  Upon returning we changed back or though we thought so. Didn't receive any inquiries for a while so went to Airbnb official site.  We ahd actually not responded to 6 inquiries so Airbnb deactivated us.  We had been Superhosts as i am on top of reponding.  We went from 100% to like 84%.  We were not receiving the inquiries from Airbnb.  No they wouldn't return our response rate to 100%.  Now I don't care.  Please don't spank me Airbnb.  Worse yet this email problem was suppose to be red flagged urgent to their tech team.  How long does it take any teckie to fix an email problem.  I would guess maybe an hour but a week later the problem still existed.  Guess what.  You would expect cash rich Airbnb to have the greatest tech team on the planet.  Found out they do NOT have a Tech team-only customer service.  Shame on you Airbnb you get a Star for that.

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

I wouldn't worry about super host status and besides it looks like you're well on your way to getting there next year.

Not understanding the implications of cancelling on someone is fine, but 'superhoust' status does imply that the host has a full understanding of how things work.  Cancelling is fine, that's why the option exists, but then you don't get to be Superhost for a while longer. No biggie.

A couple more nice pictures of your place will likely havea bigger effect, specifically a picture of the outside of your place and the immediate neighborhood.

@Jiw0, I so agree with you about your suggestion to not worry so much about superhost status. all that is pretty ridiculous and meaningless anyways. BUT: it is really not so fine to not understand the implications of cancellations... it's the nr. 1 thing we preach here all day long :DO NOT CAnCEL as a host, the  repercussions are grave... not obtaining superhost status for one year is the least of the worries. please educate yourselves, peeps....