Breakfast

Dianne13
Level 1
Alice Springs, Australia

Breakfast

I have just received a review with the below comment on what I can do to improve...

Breakfast: a bit too basic and dismissive

The basic breakfast I serve is half a fresh pink grapefruit, a glass of fresh orange juice, an english muffin to be toasted with butter and five different condiments along with a slice of cheese and a choice of tea and coffee.

Is this too basic?  What more is expected?

14 Replies 14

Dont really understand the dismissive comment!!!  It definitely not a basic breakfaat. Personally I would drop the pink grapefruit and offer a cereal and maybe muesli option. I think unfortunately some people expect a 'hotel' style breakfast which is really not the point of airbnb. Alternatively if its a one of comment , ignore it or reply to the review asking the customer what else they would have liked

@Dianne13, here's a recent thread that might be of interest.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Hosts/Am-I-the-only-1-who-doesnt-COOK-for-guests/m-p/177461#M45172

I don't find what you offer to be 'dismissive' at all. I do though agree with @BruceandJulio0 that a choice of muesli or cereal might be of more interest to guests. Not eveyone likes grapefruit. In addition, grapefruit doesn't mix well with certain types of medication, which is another reason a guest may not welcome it.

Dianne13
Level 1
Alice Springs, Australia

Thanks for your response Donna...the pink grapefruit is usually served in season and other times the guest has rockemellon or seasonal fruit...haven't had problems in the past with the grapefruit...comments have always been excellent and the crazy thing is I confirm with guests what they are getting for breakfast the night before...guess the language barrier set in with this guest.

Thanks boys...makes me feel more positive with what I am doing and will respond with your suggestion of asking the guest what else they would have liked.

Dawn33
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

How terribly rude.

This is why I don't offer breakfast.

Your breakfast sounds wonderful and that dismissive snot is a malcontent.
Dianne13
Level 1
Alice Springs, Australia

Thanks Dawn...I was quite devastated till your responses have come thru.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Dianne13 Hi Di, yeah, it's an individual thing! I no doubt overdo it providing not just a really substantial breakfast but, as I have said in other threads quite often a great evening meal as well. I almost apply to that old cruising expression....'they arrive as guests and get wheeled out as cargo!!!!' cheers.....Rob

Patricia86
Level 4
Chico, CA

It sounds like a lovely breakfast.  

But no matter what we offer, there will be some people who are not happy and they will leave reviews to show it.  I charge $50 for a bed near SFO.  That is an unreal price, considering everything else about our house.  I had one guest that I gave six rides to and from the airport during her two night stay (each ride is a $10 Uber or Lyft value).  She ate about $10 worth of dried strawberries I had left out for guests.  She also enjoyed the grab and go breakfast bar.  

And she gave us three stars for value.  

There is little we can do to prevent the odd negative review that we will get here and there.  We are in the people business and some people are unpredictable.  

The only thing you can do to try to prevent this kind of thing is to make sure that you explain as well as you can, what you offer.  Maybe take a picture of your breakfast and use it in your description.  

But the important thing is to not let one person get you down.  Most guests will be reasonable and kind.  But some will not.  We have to roll with the punches in this business.  

List the breakfast menu on your description.

Call it a 'continental breakfast' somewhere.

Take a picture of the breakfast and post it on the site with a description.

At the time of the actual breakfast offer the guests ONE extra item that is not on the posted menu.

Clear expectations and value added.

Put a booger on that guy's English Muffin.

Not really.

Louise15
Level 3
Montreal, Canada

That sounds like a reasonable breakfast to me. I agree with a previous poster: put up a photo of a typical breakfast so that guests know what to expect. 

Way to go the extra mile. You sound awesome.
Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Sounds good to me. I started hosting with the thought that I didn't want to "over deliver" and find that I couldn't keep to the standard I'd set. So at first I just had 2 cereals, tea, coffee, biscuits and milk! Then I realised it costs almost nothing to give them some bread to toast and a few spreads, because half don't even use it at all. I've also started putting the odd drink in the fridge. I'm a bit random with the drink, often its bottled water, but other times it's juice if a good sale at the grocery store takes my fancy! I've built the added cost of going a little further with breakfast into the cleaning fee, but It's still basic and I've never had a complaint yet. I agree with those who said state what u intend to provide, so there is no negative comebacks 

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

I provide English muffins (they're cheap and versatile!), jams, butter, peanut and almond butter, coffee, tea, and half and half for coffee.  Sometimes I leave a couple of small orange juices especially if there are kids. If kids are coming, I email ahead to ask if they want milk, and if so, what type since there are so many preferences.  I like to leave a few pieces of fruit, but I've stopped doing that since it mostly was left uneaten to spoil.

I also have some basic "famine foods" in the cupboards, e.g. cereals, popcorn, pasta, can of tuna, oatmeal. Things to eat when you've arrived  in the middle of the night and the restaurants are closed. I also provide oil, vinegar, spices, hot chocolate mix, and Nutella.  Most of it never gets used so I don't have to restock it often.  What does go is the coffee (I use Keurig pods... wastefull I know, don't yell at me!), mix of teas including fruit and herbal, and the jams.  

I should say I'm within easy walking distance of a decent sized Whole Foods and many restaurants and shops, so people mostly eat out. I should also say that I have a separate unit as part of my house - we do not have to interact, and guests are not sharing my space, so they are not expecting me to cook their breakfast!

Jean242
Level 2
St. Louis, MO

I'm a new host, with only about 10 bookings so far. I love breakfast, which is why I offer hot breakfast, so I can use the kitchen too. I always have a few baskets on the counter. One contains muslei, oats, dried berries, slivered almonds and cinnamon. The other has English muffins, sliced bread, Nutella and jam. They're is fresh fruit also, but that rarely gets eaten by guests. I also send out a breakfast survey a few days before arrival to inquire about preferences so I don't water time coming something they won't enjoy. I created it on Google forms, and it is very simple. But so handy! I usually end up making a quiche or casserole. Sometimes I bake muffins or make pancakes. I also offer smoothies in lieu of a hot breakfast. Easier for me anyway! Any suggestions on other breakfasts to serve? Thanks!