8 wasted superhost $100 travel vouchers. Why can't superhosts bank them?!

Louise21
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

8 wasted superhost $100 travel vouchers. Why can't superhosts bank them?!

where do I find my super host vouchers

26 Replies 26
Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Robin4

Regardless of the flaws in the original SH programme though Rob, at least hosts were all pretty relaxed about it and having it/not having it was no big deal really. There was certainly none of the divisiveness and air of superiority that the status has engendered in many hosts in recent years. Then again, it wasn't the manipulative, coercive game then, that it was reborn as in 2014. Below is a comment I posted a year or two ago about the history, origins and motivations of the current SH scheme/scam.. 

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

In late 2012, Airbnb headhunted Douglas Atkin as Global Head of Community. Atkin is the author of a book called "The Culting of Brands - How To Turn your Customers into True Believers", and was the creator of "The Glue Project", a venture "dedicated to helping people make communities, and the loyalty that results"

He spend years studying how cults work, the techniques they use to suck people in and brainwash them into being blindly devoted, subservient and loyal to the cult leaders, and the psychology of how cults manipulate and control their members into doing their bidding. Atkin's area of expertise was how to use those same techniques in the business and corporate world, in order to make the minions similarly devoted/subservient to the global corporations they "serve"

Airbnb has been using every trick in the culting book on its hosts since around the end of 2013/early 2014, including restructuring the entire ratings, review and Superhost programme as a supposed "reward" system, when in actual fact, it's a punitive, abusive system specifically designed to penalise, manipulate and control hosts and their behaviour.

It works on the basis of something called the "Commitment Curve", which is structured to reel people in initially with a very low barrier to entry, then ply them with very quick "rewards", in order to get them hooked as quickly as possible. (such as, the newbie search boost, designed to ensure new hosts get lots of bookings straight away so they're locked in and beholden to the platform from Day 1. It's also why hosts can "achieve" superhost status after just 10 single night bookings and a handful of reviews. And even why you can reach "Level 10" contributor in the Community Centre in about 5 minutes flat). It's all about massaging people's egos and making them feel "special", so that they'll feel so enamoured by you that they'll happily and gratefully do whatever you demand of them. 

Then, once you have the targets hooked, the strategy is to ramp up the pressure on them exponentially, with bigger and bigger "asks", and rapidly increase the level of demands on them as time goes on. (For example, gradually stripping people of their rights over their own homes and businesses, while making them jump through near-impossible hoops to please you and reach almost unattainable targets (the "f*ck-off metric", as it's known internally) - such as making Superhost status achievable now only at 4.8 overall rating, instead of the previous 80% 5 star reviews, while sending relentless "you need to do better" emails to hosts when they "only" get 4 star ratings)

The theory behind all of this - and the fundamental principle on which Airbnb has been operating for several years now - is that the more you demand of your subjects, the more loyalty, devotion and dependency you'll squeeze out of them, and the more you can manipulate them into doing your dirty work for you. The ultimate goal, of course, is to mobilise the troops to get out there fighting your corner for you (such as, using gullible hosts as "frontmen" and mouthpieces with city councils, politicians, media, local authorities etc). Unfortunately for Airbnb though, the vast majority of independent hosts and homesharers are now waking up to the fact that they're being used and abused by the company, and are finally realising that small hosts fighting Airbnb's battles, is like turkeys voting for Christmas. 

Douglas Atkin quietly parted ways with the company in 2017, citing "other interests". Perhaps he felt that they'd taken his ideas just a little too far

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

i WASTE ALL MINE TOO! HOW AM I GOING TO TRAVEL WHEM I'M RUNNING MY AIRBNB?!

AIRBNB HOPES & EXPECTS THAT WE WASTE THEM. THEN, IT COSTS THEM EXACTLY >>>NOTHING<<< TO REWARD SUPERHOSTS FOR GOING ABOVE & BEYOND!

THIS $100 VOUCHER IS THE -->ONLY<-- REAL BENEFIT TO BEING A SUPERHOST.

WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO BANK THESE FOREVER IF WE CHOOSE. 

I'm sure there's a way we can cash these vouchers out if we were smart about it?

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

It's easy enough to take a few days off once in a while, travel and spend the vouchers. I've done that a couple of times now (in happier times). It's also a nice opportunity to see someone else's Airbnb first hand, to chat and get some ideas which helps to improve things in the long term. Use 'em or lose 'em. 

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I loved "Like turkeys voting for Christmas" but, being a Yank & all may I swap out Christmas for Thanksgiving?

Liz3775
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Very Interesting....I, Liz was Congratulated for 4 time Superhost last April, 2019 ...went on and on 4 Superhost in a row. I am fighting for voucher due  -Airbnb have every and any excuse to not Honour it. If Airbnb offers a choice of Voucher and you take Photograph option do you have to wait for "Sale by date"(nearly a year) before the photographer arrives ? ALL SO CONFUSING 

@Liz3775 

Airbnb don't have their own photographers. They contract that out. That means your voucher will need to be converted to cash and sent out of the company to the contractor. They would rather you 'spend money' in the company by using your voucher as a part payment for a booking. I would guess that if you were eligible for photography, Airbnb would be in no rush to assign your request to any outside contractor requiring them to spend money until they had plenty of cash.

Gypsy0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hello everyone!

I joined Airbnb in 2014 and I’m still hosting without a break. I have managed to get 34 consecutive superhost rewards. I only realised this when I saw all the wasted coupons I have.
 I do love hosting ❤️

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

That's a shame. Everyone can afford to go away for a night or two.  @Gypsy0 

As you say it's a waste.

Gypsy0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Just got busy and fostered a Rhodesian ridgeback so ended travelling very little and when I did it was visiting friends abroad. Also I think you have to copy and paste the voucher code and many times I have forgot I even have a voucher. Would have been better if got the cash equivalent straight to my bank 🙂

I suggested to Airbn earlier this evening that they should have a “golden ticket” with a large bonus for long-standing superhosts  with 5 year’s consecutive superhost stats. Could you imagine getting £10K to spend on travel after 10 years of being a superhost!

Come on Brian hear us out 🙂 

@Gypsy0 don't wast your coupons. You can always book a trip to Ukraine and help the folks there.

Wish I had enough coupons to help all the war zone countries around the world.