No INSTANT BOOK for new hosts and more security for when it is allowed by hosts

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

No INSTANT BOOK for new hosts and more security for when it is allowed by hosts

Isn't this a warning of what can happen when IB is used in your private home? esp. if it is foisted upon (new) guests.

Somebody masquarading as lover of the sharing economy might only want to share in on your stuff:

www.king5.com/news/bellevue-police-investigating-theft-during-airbnb-stay/287276549

"... theft does appear to be connected toAirbnb ... using ...instant booking option...  Instant Book listings don't require approval from the host before booking...

"So our advice is that if you can, disable that instant booking feature," ...  It's up to you to make sure you properly vet who is going to be staying at your property."

10 Replies 10
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Airbnb will drop compulsory IB after the first really serious crime happens. Would be really great if they dropped it BEFORE.

Rosemary12
Level 9
Burnaby, Canada

This article you flagged was scary! I don't use the instant book because I live in the home and want to be sure that I feel comfortable with my guests. So far no problem after 3 years as a host but today I had a request for a guest who had no photo i.d. listed (which is what I am supposed to get) and her profile was a beach so I asked her if she could give me more information on what her travel plans were (so I can decide if this guest will be a good fit, i.e. are they coming with a car) and could I have a photo on her profile and she refused.  A lot of us are doing traditional B&Bs and should know exactly who is staying in our home, we are not a hotel with security!

Rosemary12
Level 9
Burnaby, Canada

I also wonder about the legality of forcing hosts to use Instant Book. What if there was an issue such as assault or robbery? Would Airbnb be liable since they forced the host to take this guest?

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Good question Rosemary, though I'm sure their battalion of lawyers will find a way to formulate TOS so that responsibility is kicked back on the guest.
Marie3
Level 4
Northfield, MN

If I were forced to use instan book, I would stop hosting. Too many potential problems.

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I would absolutely stop hosting on Airbnb if I was forced to use Instant Book. This isn't a hotel room, it's my home, and I should have the right to confirm that I feel comfortable with the guest before they LIVE IN MY HOME.

It sounds like this new policy is better suited to hotel environment. 

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Forced instant book is a bad idea!  I rent one bedroom in my home where I live too.....  so need to be sure who is staying.  The spare room is right next to mine, shared bathroom across the landing, so I really need to ensure that the guest is someone who I can trust and get along with.  So far all has gone really well, and my guests have been great - because I can chat to them first, confirm check in times, read their reviews.....

Jenny85
Level 4
Reading, United Kingdom

Totally agree with all the above comments. I am one of the potential new hosts who (unbeknown to me when I created the listing) cannot disable 'the feature'. Consquently I have unlisted my property. In spite of numerous emails, phone calls and FB posts Airbnb are refusing to back down on this.

I think it is a very disturbing development and suggests that they are determined to make as much profit as possible by forcing hosts to adopt a hotel style model. They know that it's easy for me to unlist as I am not dependent on them at all; it won't be so easy for established hosts who have come to rely upon the bookings for additional income.  

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Neti1
Level 4
New Orleans, LA

I wasn't even aware this was an issue for new hosts? When did it start?  Neti