scam letter

scam letter

SCAM ALERT: Received a letter from 'airbnb Unclaimed Property' with a blank form for us to fill out to received a check for unclaimed property. Address to mail our personal information was airbnb Unclaimed Property, PO Box 1448, Southeastern PA 19399. In the upper left-hand corner has the same address. Contact number 1-877-455-4746

I wish I can post the picture of the letter here but I don't know how to do that.

49 Replies 49
Andrea2886
Level 1
Severna Park, MD

I received the same sort of letter from Synchrony at box 1448 in Southeastern, PA too.  The one reason I think it might be legit is, they're not asking for any new information and they aren't asking for money. The reason I'm worried, however, is there is no email address or phone number to call.  Ultimately, I'm not terribly worried and I'll send it in because I'm not sharing any (new) info that they didn't include already.  

My unclaimed property doesn't appear in the state database yet, because it hasn't been turned over to the state yet. 🙂  I figure, if I don't send this letter back, eventually this $ will show up in the database and I'll be able to claim it then. 

I did email the state's unclaimed property email, just to see if they know anything about this letter.  I haven't heard back yet. 

I just got the same letter today, and I had to look into it. I called Airbnb they didn’t know anything about the letter.

Aimee29
Level 2
New York, NY

I received the same letter and contacted Airbnb. They said the money in question was paid out but, when I checked my transactions, it was not. How can we verify that this is legit when Airbnb is giving misinformation?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

When you say you contacted Airbnb - did you call their customers services? If not, give them a call. obviously don't call any number on what is likely to be a scam letter @Aimee29 

Aimee29
Level 2
New York, NY

I called the Airbnb super host line.

Megan718
Level 1
Cincinnati, OH

So bizarre. I received a letter today from Spectrum/Time Warner. Called them and they don't have any information. I'm not the type to forget that I am owed a refund or deposit, and mine is for $547.05 (that's like a year's worth of internet.) I guess I'll fill it out but red flags are everywhere. Why didn't the check get sent to me initially? Why not call me since my number hasn't changed in 10 years? We'll see what happens...

signature required? be carefull!!

I received the letter. I called the number provided and they told me that they are not Airbnb but work with it with the regard of unclaimed property cases. They said it is a legit letter. In my case I actually know how/why the funds may have been not paid, looking at amount and the date (3 years ago) as it happen. I will return signed letter. The letter also said that the money will be paid after October 30, 2021. The person on the phone explained that they do not process caes as they come but rather bulk processing together. If it is a scam, then I assume they will ask for some payments of fees for sending a check. lol.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why are you bothering to return the letter, it's clearly a scam. @Ken2254 

If you doubt this, call Airbnb directly - not the number on the letter to check.

It is legit 

Jeremy648
Level 1
Phoenix, AZ

I received the same letter and it turns out it was NOT a scam.  I still had money to be paid to me but it was below the minimum transfer amount.  You can view if any money is owed to you in your host earnings; it will show as "expected" (versus "Paid").

If you are owed money check your minimum transfer amount under the "Payouts" section of your Account.

Exactly. 100% legit

Ewa33
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

THIS IS NOT A SCAM. I got one after 4 years of airbnb guest not paying for last few days of their stay. Look at your Transaction tab on airbnb website and look for UPCOMING payouts. If guests stayed over 30 days, they were charged for 30 days only and after that they need to make another payment for remaining balance of their stay. Mine decided to charge their credit card and never paid. So I guess Airbnb is sending the money under host guarantee but it takes them 4 years!.

Lisa-And-Anne0
Level 2
Nashville, TN

I also got a letter. I looked at Upcoming Payments and it looks like there was a payment in 2017 that never processed. It is the same amount and date as is mentioned in the letter. So I'm thinking it's not a scam...? I will call airbnb I guess.

Adham0
Level 2
Rochester, NY

Just got the same letter right this second.