sales tax

sales tax

I don't see anyplace to add a sales tax when setting prices.  Am I within the airbnb rules to collect sales tax upon arrival?  If so, I assume I just inform the guest when I pre-approve a booking?

Thanks,

Mark

8 Replies 8
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Mark42 Unfortunately Airbnb doesn't collect sales tax (also referred to as Occupancy Tax) in all areas which makes it a pain for those of us that have to collect and pay individually.  I'm also in the same situation as you.   Here's what Airbnb has to say: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/654/what-is-occupancy-tax--do-i-need-to-collect-or-pay-it

As you can see there are two options, neither are very satisfactory.  Should you decide to collect from the guest you can send a Special Offer for each reservation increasing the price for the tax or collect when the guest arrives.  I find this awkward and combersome so I just include it in my nightly price.  But that has downsides too: my price is then higher than it should be and I wind up paying the 3% Airbnb on the money that I ultimately send to my county.  

Hopefully, as time goes on, Airbnb will program a special feature for adding the tax and relieve us of this burden.  But until then....

I am in shock that they do not offer a way to collect taxes. This is a real problem. 

Most people just include it in their listing price, outside the US it is not normal to price excluding taxes.

Now why a US Company does not have a line item I do not know.

David

Supposedly they're "working on it" to get an itemized tax line.  I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last week they raised $1,000,000,000

So hopefully that was enough

David
Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT
Raymond16
Level 2
Denver, CO

I think it is RIDICULOUS that there is no option to collect sales tax when the guests book the reservation.  THIS IS INCREDIBLY UNPROFESSIONAL.  ALL my OTHER travel websites, Homeaway, VRBO, TripAdvisor, Booking.com give that line item option.  So I end up losing 7% to the county because I PAY THE TAXES that the GUESTS SHOULD BE PAYING.  WHAT IS AIRBNB'S problem??? CHANGE THIS NOW.  I'm not asking you to send in the tax for me--but give me a chance to collect it.  If HUNDREDS wrote in, this would change.