problem with cancellation on immediate booking

Patricia381
Level 1
Paris, France

problem with cancellation on immediate booking

Hello,

I am new to Airbnb. I had mistakenly selected the optnion of the 'Immediate Booking', or maybe I would say I did not deactivate it while opening my account. Today while I was replying to a request, because of the 'immediate booking button' somebody else booked the apartment for the period the other guest was interested in, stretching to a time that would not be convenient to me. it now looks like I owe this person over 270 euros after asking her to please cancel her reservation as I had already offered the apartment to someone else. This fee is do to a mistake! Is there any way to sove this problem? Thank you so much in avance for your advice 

7 Replies 7
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Unfortunately you've learned the hard way.  That why we urge new hosts to keep their listing on Snooze until they learn all about the sytem and it's setting to avoid costly mistakes like this.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Basically, it doesn't matter how many people you are in talks with about potential dates, the first guest to pay gets the booking. Unless you can disable Instant Booking.

wow - i had this problem. i thouht i was doing the right thing by offering to the first perosn who expressed interest, not the first person paying. how annoying. 

Stephany2
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

That just happened to me but I didnt have to pay any fee, I canceled in the same minute the person asked but I still see in my calender.... and I cant have the other person I was talking on these dates? how long it takes to clear your calender?  thank you 

The calendar does not clear.  This is one of the many penalties for canceling a reservation, the days stay permanantely blocked.

Debs3
Level 2
Teignmouth, United Kingdom

I had a similar problem.  Someone did instant book at the last minute, and the dates were no longer available, so I cancelled them within the hour of their booking.  Airbnb now says my commitment is low, and I cant be a superhost for a year!!  is it better to not offer instant booking?  I know I prefer instant booking when I travel.........How do you 'snooze' it?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Only offer instant booking if you keep your calendar up to date. Are you also taking bookings through another listing. If so you will need to sync your calendars.

As you see BNB takes host cancellation seriously (look at their help centre for more information on penalties) and so do guests it will put them off making a booking with you.

Sounds like you would be better removing it from your listing. Just go into your listing and then bookings and untick it. BNB will encourage you to stay with instant book but keep going through the steps and eventually it will change.

It sounds like you would also benefit from reading the community guides on these forums - great for new hosts.