late check-in

Ale-and-Moe0
Level 1
Boston, MA

late check-in

Hello,

I am a new host. I wanted to ask a question regarding late check-ins. If i have the check -in period from 3pm till 7 pm for example, and the guest arrives later than that time and i cant help him/her after that time, what happens usually? Also, will the be able to give me a rating even though they didnt stick to the check-in time policy??

Last questions, how can i update the status of the reservation to late check in or no show??

Thank you 🙂

8 Replies 8
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Always make a point of confirming during the booking process what time your guest expects to check in. That way, if you know it is not going to be possible you can decline the booking. Bear in mind that sometimes flights are delayed, etc and you should build in lee way or contingency for this too.

It will look bad for you on a review if you enforce a very narrow check in window or give a guest a negative review (as has happened) just because they were 30 mins late arriving from an international flight. 

On the other hand, if a guest just does not communicate with you, despite your best efforts to reach them then you are justified in mentioning that you had to wait around all day for them to check in etc. 

No Show: you still get paid and there may be a number of reasons for it - someone being ill, an accident, etc- but there is no way to update a reservation to show that as a status.

Some people charge a fee for a late check in - and you have to agree this upfront before the booking is confirmed for it to be valid. That cost could cover the amount you need to pay a friend, neighbour to provide a key, etc.. when you are unable to be available.

Melanie58
Level 10
Boise, ID

You might also consider a contractor lockbox, so you do not have to be available to give over the key.  Write up a manual of all the rules and procedures, and then guests are free to arrive when they wish.

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

If you will absolutely not allow the guest to check in after 7 pm you need to make that extremely clear to the guests.  It needs to be  in the listing, in the Arrival instructions and sent to the guest as a message before and after booking.  Very hard on a traveler to be delayed through no fault of their own and suddenly have no place to stay.  You should consider providing some option for late check in for a fee or with a lock box or some other method.  Travel plans fall through all the time and your guest will be in your town depending on you.  I personally would not book a stay with a host that was that inflexible.

Sarah557
Level 1
Tallahassee, FL

Air BNB will allow the guest to cancel the reservation after check In and you will lose all your money, even fees. Even if you have a stated check in time and the guest has agreed to show up by then. So just be careful, and get a good book because you have to let them in or you'll lose your funds.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Sarah557

Can you link to where Airbnb says this please

They don't say it, they just do it. They did it to me after I turned away a guest who was late, uncommunicative, and who agreed to both my policies at check in and through messaging when I reminded her of the latest time she could arrive. I even waited an extra half hour and she never asked for an extension or said she was going to be late and she faulted me in her cancellation and they gave her a full refund.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am sorry to hear this happened to you.

Did you call them to query them giving the guest a full refund?

Did you let them know at the time your guest hadn't turned up and you couldn't reach them?

If you can only stay half an hour over your check in time, have a local at a lock box or other remote access.

Yes, I have disputed her refund but no word from air bnb yet.

I don't mind staying up for a guest that tells me they are going to be late or asks for flexibility. But my house is small and I have a dog so if someone arrives after I go to bed the entire house will be disrupted. I leave a key for guests if I will not be there when they arrive during the day but my check in policy is there for a reason.