automatic acceptance of guests

Kate-and-Guy0
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

automatic acceptance of guests

Hi,

We are just hosting our first guest and was told by them that the site auto accepted his booking without our invtervention.  They said that usually we have to accept the booking rather than the site automatically doing this.  Can someone advise thanks.

7 Replies 7
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

You have Instant Book turned on, @Kate-and-Guy0. If you want to turn that off, go to Dashboard -> Your Listing -> Calendar and More -> Booking. Under "Who can book instantly" click "No one."

It is best to get to know the site really well before you begin to host. You might end up wanting Instant Book turned on. But in the meantime, turning it off is best.

(You can tell it is on by the lightning bolt beside the room rate on your listing page.)

Thanks for your advice Lawrence, appreciated. 

Lawrence, can I just ask for clarity.  It says that if we kept instant booking on and someone booked and we didnt feel comfortable we can cancel with no penalty.  Is that right?

"We have your back
If you’re ever uncomfortable with a reservation, before or during a trip, you can cancel penalty-free."

And sorry, my eyes are terrible I thought it said Lawrence but you are Lawrene - apologies!! 

No problem re the name, @Kate-and-Guy0. Just hit the "@" symbol, as I have done with your name, when you are referring to someone and it will both spell it for you and notify the person.

I am unsure about that Instant Book have-your-back thing. I have never put it to the test. Forum wisdom seems to be that if you need to cancel someone - really need to because something is very wrong - you should call Airbnb first and get them to do it. Just up-and-cancelling can get you penalized. It will be best, though, if someone answers who has experience with that. I'm serious when I say don't take my word for it!

What I can tell you is that it is a very good idea to Snooze your listing while you are getting the hang of everything. Take a look in the Help Centre for how to do that. Then look around the Help Centre some more, read some threads that interest you in this forum (the extremes can be as good as any thriller!), watch all the videos and tutorials Airbnb makes available. Once you are comfortable with it, hit Listed again, and go from there.

All the best with hosting! It is very rewarding, but it is one of those things that works best if you are armed with knowledge rather than just learning as you go. 

Once again thanks @Lawrene0 and we will very much take your advice on board.  All the best and your place sounds amazing by the way!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Kate-and-Guy0

What they say and what they do are sometimes two very different things. They want use to use IB because it generates more revenue for them. As a new host I would urge you to turn it off until you are more familiar with how it works.

My understanding is that if a guest doesn't meet house rules such as your check in times or wants to bring 8 guests when you accomodate a max of 6, then they will look to cancel the booking.

If however, you double book the space or decide you have priced it incorrectly, I am not at all sure they would cancel. I think you need ot read the small print.

Why not snooze your list for a few days, read the Airbnb help section, new host tips and tutorials and guides on these forums. Then remove IB (they have lots of clicks you have to go through so keep going. Then when you are more familiar you can decide whether you want to do it.

Also make sure your home insurance covers short term lets. Most people have to get an add on or a new policy.