Writing an unfavourable review or staying silent

Fiona374
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Writing an unfavourable review or staying silent

I have been hosting successfully for nearly two years with mostly great guests and a few very untidy ones. This case was different.

Dorothy, her husband and her family of two adult children and a large hairy dog stayed in my beach-side home for 3 weeks before moving into their own new home. Unfortunately they did not respect my home: Clean up was far beyond the usual, they left a big mess, kitchen with dirty plates put back in the cupboard,  chewing gum in the dishwasher, everything re-arranged, other things missing or damaged. Elsewhere there were spills and splashes on walls and surfaces including carpet, filthy toilets with faeces splashed about, fingernail clippings left in both bedrooms and the hallway, almost all linen and towels had stains needing soaking. Not all was permanent and of course can be cleaned but it is evidence of the disrespect. They certainly didn't leave it the way it was found.

As I began cleaning I noticed things missing.  This included 3 bed pillows, 3 bath mats, 4 full-size towels, 5 tea towels, 2 facecloths, 2 pillowcases, 2 fitted sheets, cutlery, plates, napkins, the list goes on and they loaded it all up in my laundry tub.  Added to this, I had to spend time sending detailed lists and photos to indicate the items they had taken. The story was they bundled up everything and took some of my stuff as well by mistake. But my tea towels, for instance, are very distinctive vintage ones. It's as if they thought they'd furnish their own new house. If I hadn't been returning to stay here myself, I would have been in trouble - they didn't even leave one bathmat! Much was returned over nearly 2 weeks but the woman didn't seem to know what she had that was mine. Infuriating since it was so time-consuming! And some things still remain damaged or lost. They have agreed to pay for things unfound ($62) but it won't cover everything and I've yet to see the money.

I want to leave an honest review but I know she will return with a bad review for me, unless I leave it till the final hour and perhaps she won't have time. The 2 weeks is up tomorrow morning. I would appreciate advice: should I leave this summary below? Or should I say more, or less, or nothing?

Dorothy and her family did not respect my home. They left a big mess and clean up was far beyond the usual. Linen was soiled, kitchen and toilets in a mess. They removed many items when they left and I spent time sending detailed lists and photos in order to get my possessions back. They also overused supplies and even took the 750g salt bottle! Not a family I would host again nor one I would recommend to others as they are best suited to another style of accommodation.

Thanks in anticipation for your wisdom.
Fiona

14 Replies 14
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Your review seems fine to me. The entire underlying integrity of Airbnb is the blind review system. In my opinion as a host it is your responsibility to review honestly.

@Fiona374

Hi Fiona,

Perfectly honest review - please warn other host of these nightmare guests!

Thanks Susie! I wouldn't want anyone else to suffer them.

Yes I agree! Thanks for your input David & Fiona.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Fiona374

well, if they didn't pay for missing and damaged stuff in 2 weeks then they probably don't intend to anyway. At least you can give them an honest review, they deserved it.

True. They cannot see my point of view at all. I just want to get everything back or replaced so I am ready for the next guests. They have taken their time. Thanks for your thoughts, Branka and Silvia.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Fiona0

Keep your review simple & short as future Guests, who will be much better than the ones you just had will form an opinion & decision based on what you write if they will book your home.

Do also remember that you have right if reply to any reviews that guests may write.

There's also the option of would you, or would you not recommend this guest to factor into account.. There's still no in between option though..

Thanks Helen. Definitely a thumbs down from me.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Fiona374 Sorry to hear you had to deal with these filthy scrotes. Personally, I'd probably shorten the review a little (when it's published it'll appear, unhelpfully -thanks to Airbnb software - as a block of text). I'd also lose the salt bottle line. Annoying, yes, but maybe seen as petty by some.

As for the 'best suited to', I'm not sure you need this as it'll be pretty obvious from your words.

Here's hoping you never get a similar group again!   

Now that I've read more of the community feedback, next time I will try to vet the guests more thoroughly. Though this lot have had good 'clean' reviews. I will post a short version of the review - minus the salt reference! Thanks Gordon

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Some would just say “not a group we would have again; difficult to put the place back to right after their stay”

detailing the back & forth could potentially get a CS to remove for mentioning an abb investigation so I wouldn’t 

@Fiona374

Yes, you're quite right Kelly. Short is best. It's basically to warn others. Thanks for your insight.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Fiona374 “Clean up for Dorothy and her family was far beyond the usual.  I would neither host them again nor recommend them to any other host.”

As a prospective host, that would be enough for me to make my decision.

@Gordon0 and @Kelly149 are spot on.

Well put. Thanks so much Ann!