What do you provide...short term vs long term rentals?

Cari3
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

What do you provide...short term vs long term rentals?

We decided to put our home on airbnb as we're going away for a couple of months.  We have someone who has made a reservation for 2 months.  For short term rentals I obviously am always replenishing toilet paper, soap etc.....That's easy as I'm here to do that.  But for this reservation I won't be here to do that. What do you provide for  a long term stay?  Do you provide enough toilet paper etc... to last 2 months or do you provide for say 2 weeks and then people buy their own?  

Thanks Cari

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think you need to provide whatever you state is provided in the listing @Cari3 

what does it say about this @Cari3 

Thanks Helen.  I hadn’t actually thought to say anything specifically about this.  I’ll also chat to my guest to see what his expectations are. Kindly Cari

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Cari3  For short-term rental, toilet supplies along with shampoo and conditioners are required by Airbnb now. For long-term rental, I have put statement in my listings that I will provide 2 weeks of toilet supplies. After that, guests are on their own. I also explain this to guest at check-in time.

That’s a great idea, thanks Mike, really appreciate you taking time to share what you do. Kindly Cari

@Mike1034  None of that is "required"- it's recommended. "Essentials" are considered to be toilet paper, soap, sheets and towels, but it's not mandatory. I provide all those, but neither shampoo nor conditioner.

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Sarah977  I remember last July or sometime ago that I received Airbnb notice that toilet supplies and linens must be provided. In the meantime, guests are given options at review time to click on missing items. If soap, toilet paper, towel, or sheets etc are missing, guests can click on those. Those missing items could cause issue with hosts if so many guests complained. Otherwise, those will not be listed in the review.

I don’t remember if shampoo and conditioner are included. May be those two are not. 

@Mike1034  Yes, at one point those things were required. But there was a huge outcry from hosts in places where linens are not normally supplied- seemed like most of those were beach cottages on the East coast of the US and some in Europe. Those hosts aid that it is traditional for guests to bring their own there and guests were fine with it. The hosts had nowhere to get laundry done- there were no laundry services anywhere close by, the hosts lived hours away from their rentals, and I think there wasn't enough water supply to do bed linenes and towels for a place that hosts the likes of 10 people. So Airbnb backtracked on it.

I know that the guest review form has a page where they ask about what all was provided. I'm not sure what they do with that info.

@Sarah977  That is good to know. Airbnb sent email notice out to change the rule but never sent a message out to revoke it.

Probably it was only announced in this forum. But I have not receive email about the rule was revoked.