Uncomfortable situation with present guest. What should I do?

Kary157
Level 2
St. Louis, MO

Uncomfortable situation with present guest. What should I do?

Hello

I had a guest checked in yesterday, he decided to walk from my house to the cardinal game.  Mind you it's 1 hour and  19 minutes from my house, I told him it wasn't a good idea, but he insisted. I didn't want him to walk at night alone so I propose to give him a ride back from the game, so he agreed to it. By 10:15 pm I was waiting for a call or text from him so I can pick him up, so nothing until I heard loud noises in my kitchen. I went out and check and my guest was over the sink puking his gut out, he was sweating a lot and yelling with pain. I was shocked I tried to help him as best as I can but he said that he was feeling woozy and dizzy. He was talking to himself in the third person, saying names, it was scary. he told me that his brother is mad at him because he left and didn't pay the rent. he couldn't hold himself together, couldn't even make it to the couch by the kitchen so I had to call 911 and they sent an EMS over. Waiting for EMS he throw up all over the floor while trying to help him to the couch, he almost knocked me out mind you he was 320 pound and at least 6" tall. We finally make it to the couch, he laid down and start talking to himself. EMS showed up run some test and they advise him to go to hospital which he refused, they had to help me put him in bed with all the vomit clothes and shoes on. 

This morning on my way out to work, he apologized and said that he got sick because he drunk 6 beers along with 3 shots of vodka then walk 1 hour to my house and he didn't drink water at all that day; also he doesn't drink a lot . I kind of felt sorry but was kinda upset about the whole situation. he was asking if my kids can stay home so he can take them to the game. I was like no that he need to find a different way of transportation and don't drink when you can't handle his drink.

I feel very uncomfortable having him around now mostly because of my kids, they never saw me in that state so they didn't know what happen. I just started airbnb, I like it so far until this little incident. I am considering maybe rent a studio for it and not my own house. what do you guys think? should I let the guest stay also? idk 

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kary157 

This is  not a "little incident" but a major incident. A drunk and vomitting guest which needs medical assistance from 911 can IMHO no longer continue the reservation.

@Emiel1 

I talked to Airbnb and they said it was up to me. He is 25 took a round trip from Michigan to saint Louis. I didn’t want to kick him out in the middle of the night sick and drunk, I am waiting until tonight and see how things goes. 

I am nervous talking to him about the incident, I am not trying to be judgmental but I feel like he has some mental issue base on our he was acting after the incident. 
wish me luck so far

@Kary157  Please be careful.  This person is staying in your house and while it might be just immaturity...getting so drunk you are sick all over yourself and in a stranger's house where EMTs have to be called..is very serious.  You don't know what other issues this person has and you need to protect yourself and your family as the priority.

Depending on how long the reservation is, you might be able to wait it out one day or something, otherwise, you should probably cancel and tell the guest you understand that things happen, but that you can't expose your family to that level of anxiety and stress as was caused by this guest's actions.  Good luck and stay safe.

Hello @Mark116 Mark116

Just giving some update, after the incident I decided to let the guest stay but I was still uncomfortable after the whole thing. After the incident, he kept asking for ride and I basically said no but he had a whole fit to why I couldn't accommodate his request.  To which I explained that he booked for a private room and there's nowhere on my listing where I said I'll provide transportation for his excursions. Long story short, he is still hear walking in my living room shirtless, pants sagging to which you can see everything that his mama gave him. I let Airbnb know about it and hopefully he leave tomorrow with no problems. 

Next time, I won't accept no reservation if my gut feelings tell me no.

@Kary157Ask this person when he will be able to go home because you are not set up for caring for people . Ask him to ring family and please try and make other arrangements and you will refund him the balance of his stay . Bring in a bigger family member or co host if you feel intimidated .and always get id and find out why people are staying beforehand as this is not the type of guest you need to attract . I would be super wary having strangers around my children especially ones who ask if the children can stay home with him . Danger signals everywhere . Ask if you can have a word with a family member and try and work this through with some extra help . H