Temporary guests of AirBnb guests

Francesco1636
Level 1
Ravenna, Italy

Temporary guests of AirBnb guests

Hello everyone, I am currently in Tokyo and I have rented an apartment for a long term (5 months) with a friend as we’re here to study. 
Since the house position is nice and easy to access, and it is sold as a 8-people-accommodation, we were wondering whether we could invite friends or family over -for a night or either for a dinner/coffee- and we asked our landlord. 
He told us nobody can access the house besides us 2 , since we’re registered, and whoever enters the house will be charged with a daily fee (on us). He also put security cameras to control the entrance and who has access to the house. 

Thus I am here to ask if he can actually do this (I am aware outside guests are not allowed to stay overnight unless registered) but for short term visitors, like a dinner or a break. 
Thank You for taking care of this. 

4 Replies 4
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Francesco1636 Hi. If it is in his house rules, and you and your friend reserved his home for only 2, yes he can say no unregistered guest in his home. It doesn’t matter how large his home is. And it is a reasonable rule. Also, by airbnb TOS, all guests must be registered for the host to be covered if anything goes wrong. 

In your post, you even mention overnight. If it’s just for coffee or dinner, it’s best to meet at a restaurant or a coffeeshop. 

I do, however, want to give you kudos for asking the host in advance because so many guests don't and end up getting their stay cancelled. But since the host gave you the option of paying extra, and if it’s that important that your friend or family stay over,  why not agree to pay him the extra fee. That’s what I would do as a guest. 

Thank you, Gwen! very clear! 

@Francesco1636  Yes, he can do this. And actually he's being more accommodating to your request than he needs to be, as many hosts (myself included) would outright refuse to allow unregistered visitors to enter the property at all.

I recommend that before inviting any visitors over, you give your host at least a full day's notice, supply the visitors' names and estimated times of their visit, and pre-pay the required fee via Airbnb.com/resolutions. Make sure the visits don't exceed the number and duration that the host agrees to, or cause any noise or disruption. The host can always withdraw permission to invite more people into his property if he feels you are misusing it. 

Thank you, Andrew, for the fulfilling explanation!