Selling House & Current Guest

Colleen103
Level 2
Wilmington, DE

Selling House & Current Guest

I am potentially selling my home that I use for hosting AirBNB but have current guests until 12/31. I'm finding information on cancelling future reservations and penalties but not information on what to do if you currently have guests that you may need to cancel. Has anyone been in this situation? My current guest is a long-term reservation. He did violate a rule but having an extra guest earlier than expected without my knowledge but I would like to do things as smoothly as possible and not leave him in a spot looking for housing. But I also cannot risk losing a large amount of money. Thank you for any help!

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Colleen103   There are several issues here since you have a long term guest rather than a short term one.  You should be informed about your rights as a landlord and the tenant rights as well.  You probably cannot shorten the length of the booking without the guest agreement.  Also, you cannot show the property without the guest agreement.  To get the agreement, you might consider a monetary incentive unless you choose to wait until January 1, 2020.

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Colleen103  Tenant right is a good point raised by @Linda108. You cannot terminate your long-term guest earlier than December 31 which the guest booked for. Even if in the no payment situation, you still need to use eviction order. The violation of house rule probably cannot be used as eviction.

Colleen103
Level 2
Wilmington, DE

Thank you both! I live in the third bedroom so technically my AirBNBers are boarders versus tenants which I'm not sure how that would change the notice requirements. I'm having difficulty finding information from the county code for this but may reach out via email.