Security deposit

Elaine202
Level 2
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Security deposit

a guest has moved into an entire apartment on a 3 month rental. i did not say i have broadband on my listings but now they are asking for broadband. we dont have fibre here so i would need to get a landline installed. I am worried that they would run up a phone bill so i wonder if i can increase the security deposit. I set it at £100 originally because of the security keys (6) but now if they dont return the keys and run up a phone bill i could be seriously out of pocket. is it possible to retrospectively increase the security deposit (of course with the agreement of the guest?

3 Replies 3
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Elaine202,

Changes to a listing apply only to new reservations accepted after the change is made.

All the facilities, rules, amenities, including the amount of the security deposit, form part of the contract entered into with the guest at the time of accepting the reservation.

Even if the guest agrees to the change Airbnb will, at most, pay you the amount of the deposit in force at when the reservation was accepted.

Steve.

Elaine202
Level 2
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

do you mean that if i let the guest put his reservation back 12 days, i dont have to worry that he can cancel and get 50% back? At the moment he cant get anything back because it is less than 7 days.

Elaine202
Level 2
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

by the way i dont want to change the reservation  the guest does.  i am wondering if this is a way for a guest to get 50% back rather than nothing