Renting an Apartment through Airbnb

Renting an Apartment through Airbnb

Hello! I found a great apartment for an unbelievable price. The owner informed me that because he travels for his job he rents his apartment out via Airbnb. He told me that I need to send my full name and a passport photo for him to pass along to Airbnb. After that, I will work directly with Airbnb to set up the lease, but I would pay him directly each month. 

My question is: Is this really too good to be true? Is this legit? 

Thank you! 

4 Replies 4
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

It is too good to be true, @Jesse32. That is not how Airbnb works. It is a scam. 

Hi @Lawrene0, Thank you for your response! 

That is what I was afraid of. Just for future reference, how does the airbnb renting process work?

It is a really good idea to spend some time in the Help Centre, @Jesse32.

But, you know the first bit. You look at the map to see what fits your itinerary and budget. If you see anything fishy - like "you will need to pay me directly" - don't go there. Legitimate hosts keep everything on the Airbnb platform. You pay when you book; they get the money sometime after you check in. Fill out your profile with a photo of yourself and something about yourself so hosts don't worry. For instance, few of us would allow you to book right now since there is no photo, no verifications, and nothing at all about you on your profile. Do your verifications before trying to book anywhere. It sometimes takes awhile, and it can slow down the booking process, which will be frustrating. Communicate with your prospective hosts. Answer their questions. And when you do arrive, be the best guest ever so you get great reviews, which will help you get future places. Some hosts only take guests who have been reviewed well. 

That's a start. But look around the Help Centre. That will do you the most good. 

All the best with this. Safe travels!

Thank you so much, @Lawrene0! This is very helpful. I'm new at using Airbnb, but I feel much more confident now. Thanks!!