Registraion in china.

Jinho3
Level 1
Seoul, South Korea

Registraion in china.

I heard that airbnb now provide info to china gov about their tourist's info.

Is this mean that tourist who made reservation in china does not need to make a registration for their stay?

Or it does not matter and tourist and host make the registration as before?

5 Replies 5
Manuel402
Level 1
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I also want to know about this, looking forward to rent in China for my trip. The new policy isnt clear if you still need to go to the police station to register or not and cant find any info on the internet.

Brooke84
Level 2
Ohio, United States

I am also hoping for an answer to this. I have booked a place in Shanghai, but my host told me to contact Airbnb when I asked them about police registration. 

Brooke84
Level 2
Ohio, United States

So I contacted Airbnb support about this, and here is the reply I got.
<<  I understand your concern however Airbnb does not release travel information to the Chinese government. Airbnb shares the listing information & not the travel information or guest details.  >>

<<  Airbnb does not force for the registration. It is ideally the host responsibility to get the registration done.  >>

The first representative I messaged didn't know the answer and reconnected me with someone else. I am not really sure if the new person gave correct information either since these news articles seem to say the opposite. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43578948

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-29/airbnb-to-share-information-with-authorities-on-g...

The BBC article really makes it sound like the policy change is to do registration process automatically; however the other articles were a bit more vague. Not to mention that the BBC article directly contradicts Airbnb's reply. 

Bottom line is, I still don't have an answer but at least I can share more information.  I'll post here again if I learn anything new, but the safe option to avoid breaking the law would be to work with a willing host or book a hostel/hotel.

Here is the final reply about this issue:

<<  Airbnb does not inform Chinese police about the travelers.
I understand your concern however whenever there are any changes we always send the notifications to our guest via email.
If any registration is required it the Host who gets it done & not Airbnb.  >>

Turns out it is necessary to do the paperwork on your own when staying in an Airbnb.

I have also facing the same issues when making reservation for my coming beijing trip. 
Most of the hosts (probably ALL of them)  are not going to register for you.

Take your own risk for being fine or denied entry china.