Privacy in unit

Julián33
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Privacy in unit

I’m staying in an Airbnb that is in the ground floor of a small building that has two other units, one in which the owner lives and another one which is also an Airbnb, same owner. Since I’m in the ground floor, there’s a small patio my unit faces. Today people came over to use the bbq in the patio. Thing is, the only thing dividing my bedroom from the patio is a glass door with very thin curtains that you can see through. It felt like a complete invasion of my privacy (plus they were making noise). Am I crazy in expecting people to stay off the patio (and by extension not use the bbq), or are they entitled to use the bbq and I’m just in bad luck? Feel like the bbq shouldn’t be in a place where people can basically see into my room if they want to and I should ask the host to move it somewhere else. 

3 Replies 3
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Julián33 What do the listings say about this patio? If it considered to be common space, shared by all three units, then you might just have to live with this arrangement. If the listing you are in doesn't mention the proximityi n the listing narrative, then you could ask AirBNB to re-home you.

Thanks Susan, that is helpful. I went through the posting and it doesn’t say anything about the patio being common property, so have asked the host to address this. If it happens again I’ll contact Airbnb. 

@Julián33 It is good to work with the host as your first step, only escalating if needed. I sincerely hope that your stay goes well and you have a wonderful break from your real life!