Possible to cancel within 24 hours of a strict cancelation policy?

Alon2
Level 1
New York, NY

Possible to cancel within 24 hours of a strict cancelation policy?

Hi All 

I wanted to cancel a reservation that has a strict policy. Is it possible to do so within the first 24 hours?

34 Replies 34
Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

First 24 hours of making the reservation or first 24 hours of checking - in?

You can cancel anytime but the refund you get if any depends on the reason and above question. Have a look at the policy via the link- - https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/149/what-is-the-airbnb-cancellation-policy

We made the reservation this morning for an August stay.

Yea I saw that but it says nothing about the cancelation within 24 hours

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The first part of the policy cover 24hours, it is effective immediately and it states 'For a 50% refund, cancellation must be made seven full days prior to listing’s local check in time (or 3:00 PM if not specified) on the day of check in, otherwise no refund. For example, if check-in is on Friday, cancel by Friday of the previous week before check in time.'

You will get 50% of the actual booking cost and any cleaning fees if applicable, you will not get the Airbnb guest service fee back.

Thanks, Amaris.

So basically we can't get our money back... o.k.   Sucks...

Thanks.

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Unfortunately not all of it unless extenuating circumstances apply - https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/540/extenuating-circumstances-for-guest-cancellations

You can contact the host directly to see if they might make an exception to their booking policy.

I host with a strict policy, but have returned funds in situations like yours (cancelled shortly after booking, but stay is months away), because they haven't tied up my calendar for long & I'm highly likely to rebook. You could also ask about being refunded if the host is able to re-book the nights between now & then.

Hi Allison,

Hope you're well! Saw this thread, and wanted to ask you about how you are able coordinate and provide the full refund. Should the guest cancel first, and then the owner coordinate with Airbnb? Or is there an easier way to manage this adjustment?

I'm actually trying to help out the owner I just booked from. (Unfortunately for personal health reasons I have to cancel the reservation that's for Dec.)

Thanks for your help!

ChanMi

Kia7
Level 2
North Carolina, United States

Allison the last part of your post definatley seems fair. Very similar to something a property managment team would do if a resident had to break their lease. It doesnt make scense to collect on 2 rentals when only one is staying and confirmed.

Kia7
Level 2

Keith88
Level 2
Portland, OR

AirBNB cancellation policy need improvement: Why doesn't ABB have a more reasonable  option such as: full refund if before 30 days, then 50% up until 7 days.  As it is you go from complete freedom to cancel (moderate) to complete punishment the second your booking is confirmed (strict). 

Kia7
Level 2

Fortunatley Keith this is up to the host what type of cancellation policy they prefer. Airbnb gives plenty of options for cancellations to choose from which seem all fair. It is up to the customer to review carefully before booking their stay what type of cancelation policy the host has. This is not in fine print either. Its just like booking a hotel. They give you an option to chose from refundable rooms and also non-refundable rooms.

That is not what I was referring to Kia. What I am suggesting is more variety in cancellation policy options. The ones they have are clear, but I wish they had an option that is less strict to the visitor while still giving the owner a bit more security. 

Sandy219
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Yes Keith .. Exactly. Nobody is suggesting hosts should be messed around. We just want a reasonable compromise. Not that you press the button and half the money is gone forever and then the host can even rebook it. Airbnb shouldn't allow it. It's not in line with general good practice when dealing with consumers. I won't ever book a place with this kind of policy because it's impossible to know for sure that plans won't change. 

Sandy219
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

If these bookings diminish hopefully they will reconaider this drastic policy. It's up to us to not book them. That's the only way to change it.