Poor hosts and Air BNB Complaints

Vanessa750
Level 1
Sandton, South Africa

Poor hosts and Air BNB Complaints

I have been a regular user of AirbnB but lately I am finding that some hosts are just using their prorerty to make money and are being dishonest about their space.  I have been staying at a property in Auckland New Zealand. The space was advertised "entire space",   quiet and peaceful.  It is anything but. The space is not linked to the house, but is linked to their office (they work from home), and the office is part of the so called "entire guest space". So the guest is two metres away from the owners most of the day.  There is zero privacy. Their listing also boasts a "quiet, peaceful place, well it may be for some, but for me, who has stayed two weeks, they decided to do house renovations so within three metres of me, I have had to put up with hammering, and a range of power drills. No peace, no quiet, just massivley loud intrusive noise. I can understand the need to do maintenance, but have consideration for the person paying to stay at your place.  DONT BOOK ANYONE IF YOU INTEND TO BE THIS INTRUSIVE. I am quite sure this host would not be happy is she paid good money for this.  This was a very misleading listing. I am not sure why the previous guests did not mention this in their reviews (too scared they wont be accepted by other hosts maybe?) but this is a dishonest listing. Their is no privacy, and I had to put up with untold noise. 

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Vanessa750

To contact the host and/or airbnb during your stay, the review facility and the feature to report a host or a listing, these are all options you can use if you have any complaints. Did you use them ? Sorry to read you had this bad experience, but we, a  community of hosts, can not change anything.

Best regards,

Emiel

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

I’m sorry @Vanessa750, that this has happened in your stay. Though I would consider it not the norm! 

Hosts are reminded by Airbnb that if there is the possibility/ potential for noise/construction etc, this should be communicated to the guest and really should be in the listing, even if in “Other things to note”. 

✍🏼 When I had the utilities company dig up our street for replacement upgrades on our mains water pipes, as soon as I received the formal notice, I closed down the homestay space and blocked dates for six weeks. Not knowing how noisy things would get...... two other weeks were offered at a discount and the wording from the utility company was added to my”Other things to note” in the listing. I also blocked the listing for three weeks for the pool’s resurfacing. Most hosts do! 

**** For the guest who would be out touring all day, the street machinery noise may have not been an issue. But for the guest who spends the time around the pool and garden... most definitely an issue. 

========================

Did you disclose you would be around all the time? (Which you are entitled to be..) Did they disclose anything about the construction in their listing? Even in the fine print?

Emergency repairs can happen, for they just do...... However scheduled noisy maintenance and renovations should really occur with calendar periods blocked.  But not always! I’ve even stayed at Changi airport transit hotel when they were jackhammering on floors above us. 😳

========================

🙌🏼 Have you communicated with the host your concerns about the noise and that the space is not an entire space? Are you sharing a living space/working space with the hosts! If it is attached or in the same working space, it should probably be private room and en-suite in a shared environment. However, without knowing the listing, this is merely an assumption on my part.

- If you feel there is a sense of deception, then please contact Airbnb and REPORT the host.

- When you are asked to REVIEW, then do so honestly. Communication ?

The space as expected?

True to images?  

Cleanliness? 

Check in?

Value? 

Location? 

Question : did the hosts discount the space’s nightly rate due to the renovations?

In your review be truthful and mark the host well, if they have provided a clean environment ✔️and gave a good check in✔️.   The images correct? Another ✔️... and so on.

If they have communicated well, you should state this, but mention the lack of disclosure regarding the renovation noise. That had you had this information upfront, you would not have booked as it would not have suited your needs.

Technically, if they are near, but not with you, then it could be considered entire space. (Entire Guest suite is the term.)

Double check: WORDING

Go back in and check the wording in ALL of the listing areas for mention of noise. If it’s there, well, they have not been misleading. But out of courtesy, they should have mentioned it again in the Airbnb conversations. Not mentioning it does them damage, so it is a strange one.

NOISE LEVELS:

If the decibels are beyond an acceptable level, then I would contact Airbnb for a request for another homestay. Also ask the hosts how long the construction will continue..... If they are home, communicate with them on the Airbnb message board for your documentation to Airbnb.

All the best.

Cathie

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

In this case, if the construction is something that the hosts are doing, as opposed to something going on next door which is out of their control, is not an emergency repair, and wasn't disclosed to you in advance, I would ask for a discount.