Occupancy Tax

Jocasa0
Level 1
Comstock, NY

Occupancy Tax

I've call London, I've messaged 3 times and still received no answer in my occupancy tax.  Airbnb is collecting occupancy tax from my guests however they are not remitting it to South Carolina as required.   Any suggestions?

7 Replies 7
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

How do you know they are not?

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Jocasa0 Air BNB remits the tax in a lump sum and individual hosts are not identified.  Your "proof" of payment is in your Transaction History.

How often is the tax sent.  I don't see anything in my history?

@Jocasa0 I have never seen any transaction for Airbnb’s payment to the county or state but I don’t think that means they don’t pay it.

Well I am remitting it myself so I would really like to kniw..

James165
Level 10
Atlanta, GA

DId you get a final answer? I also am in SC. From all I have found out (and neither Airbnb & State of SC make it easy), the state sales tax, state occupancy tax, and the county sales tax (if any) are collected and remitted by Airbnb. But it is a lump sum remittance - I don't even know if it details homeowner, much less individual renters. Then you have report and pay any additional county occupancy tax or local occupancy tax.

Clare156
Level 2
Charleston, SC

Agreed James, it is not easy to get answers on the various SC taxes and the amounts paid by whom. From what I've read on Air BnB the lump sum tax paid is simply that, no individual information - we use our transaction history as "proof" of what Air BnB paid on our behalf. 

Anyone know a good accountant in the Charleston area? 😉