Nov 1 City of Los Angeles Restrictions Effect

O4
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Nov 1 City of Los Angeles Restrictions Effect

Was introduced to Airbnb hosting by a friend because they thought my loft is perfect for home-sharing concept. At first, there was the reluctancy to the idea of strangers in my home. Fast forward, months later, having hosted diverse guests in-town on work-matters and having maintained a preference for hosting no more than 4 guests per month (with respect to my privacy and neighbors), I realized the most amazing thing about hosting wasn’t the additional income it brought in that has helped kickstart my SaaS startup, but the type of people met over the course and the discovery of oneself through these strangers.

Due to the result of the corporate greed of the AirBnB company (shying away from their founding principles in pursuit of investor-interests-monetary-gain with negligence) by allowing all kinds of listing without regards to its impact on the local community and residents, it’s safe to say we can all see this coming.. (City enactment for “Listing Registration”), and the effect it’s going to have on hosts that has relied on Airbnb to make ends meet, meet citizens of other places, share interests, etc. 

As per the city-registration requirements (specifically asking for the Landlord’s permission to host) is likely something that isn’t going to happen, for many hosts. So rather that route, perhaps, the decision to move on and call it quits with Airbnb hosting has finally arrived. Quite disappointing to see this life experience coming to an end. Has anyone made the DECISION to cease hosting or find a way to get around the affidavit submission? #AskingForAFriend

p.s. It seems the motion for the city to delay this process has been rejected. I sincerely hope LA suffers from the loss of Tax Revenues generated from hosting.. May be then it will reconsider its laws and ways to punish only those using Airbnb as investment business.

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@O4   I agree that the proliferation of professional property managers, hotels, B&B's on Air BNB along with poor hosting management causing residential disruption and finally the loss of low  income housing as short term rentals are replacing long term rental stock which has been allowed by Air BNB has caused many cities to restrict short term rentals in many ways.

I don NOT agree that renters should have the right to use their rental as a source of income without the owner acceptance.  Doing so will often negate the insurance the owner might have thus putting the owner in a high risk situation while the renter makes money.  Not good.  I agree with the need for the affidavit.

I see your point.. So by that standards, renters need an affidavit to have friends over too. Or maybe, I'm failing to see the difference. And correction, most single-hosts are  not using AirBnB to make money, rather as a supplemental income to meet life necessities. The point is, owners approval will be biased, thats certain. I would rather see the City law imposed on number of guests (per month) a host can have, just like they did to number of days. Insurance risk, etc is quite an absurd reason.