New listing without any reviews yet

Mike-and-Vicki0
Level 2
Milwaukie, OR

New listing without any reviews yet

Will no reviews yet keep me from getting reservations ?  I just posted our studio and was curious whether potential guests will lose interest immediately without any reviews ?

any suggestions ?

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Mike-and-Vicki0

Of course not :)....if that was the case no new hosts would ever get any bookings. When you first list Airbnb gives your listing a boost you so are higher up in the listings.

Great photos, descriptions about your area, attractions and your listing and being in a location that people want to stay will make your property more desirable. And of course a price that is competitive with similar nearby listings.

By the way I would pull back the shower curtain so people can see your shower in the photos. I would also not say 'any time after 1 p.m.'  on your check in or you will have people think it is okay to turn up at midnight or in the early hours of the morning.

Good luck.

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Mike-and-Vicki0

I just open my place two month ago .... for what I can tell. You add a very good photos of your house but I not sure your place is near any sightseeing ? may be more pictures of interest place.

Price ... I think for a start you may need to lower the rent to get people try. Of couse you can setup Instant Book and choose for people who had recomment from other host.

Good luck to you.

Raffaele-and-Astrid0
Level 10
Coogee, Australia

hi @Mike-and-Vicki0

your listing looks very nice, your price considering the area it's ok, it is well presented, I think you just need to wait. 

if you want to get a quick booking, take off the cleaning fees, or cut in half, for now.

good luck

cheers Raf

Hi Mike and Viki,

Like Raf, I would highly recommend removing/reducing the cleaning fee from your property until you get at least 3-5 guest reviews. This may cost you some money if you pay a service to clean for you, but it's a legit business expense for your hosting start-up. And yes, your listing is a start-up business. Once you get some reviews, you can reintroduce the cleaning fees.

I would also waive the security deposit for the time being too. The chances of needing to ding your guests for damages early on is way less than the business you'll lose by requiring a deposit. I know a lot of hosts will disagree with me, but I've never required a deposit, nor needed to use one.

Another thought is to actually "market" directly to experienced guests/hosts who would be more inclined to give a new host a chance. Here's what I mean:

Maybe try something like:

"Nedona Beach Studio Looking for Happy Guests and Feedback"

Our Brand NEW LISTING - is a peaceful, private, and cozy 450sf studio is blocks from Nedonna Beach & Nehalem River, and as new hosts, we need a little help.

If you are an experienced Airbnb guest or host, we would like to invite you to book our studio so we can get some honest feedback so that we can start our career as hosts off in the best way.

This quaint studio is perfect for couples, solo adventurers, writers, & business travelers.

With no WiFi or TV to distract you, this quiet retreat allows you to escape, explore the outdoors (including the creek behind the property), and reconnect with nature!  A gorgeous, secluded, 7-mile beach awaits you!

Plus, I have a special rate for any experienced guest/host who would be interested in giving us detailed feedback.

Kitchenette suitable for simple meals....

Then after creating this listing, I'd share a link to it all over social media.  Keep your original pricing on the listing if you like, but if someone reaches out to you saying they'd be willing to give feedback, you can adjust your rates (if you like). Personally, I would after vetting them carefully - you would only want to extend the offer to hosts/guests who write great reviews/responses.

I am not suggesting that you advertise reduced rates for reviews, what I am suggesting is to get some experienced people who are interested in helping out someone new. They may be inclined to give you great reviews!

I hope this is helpful, and I wish you the best of luck - hosting has been the most incredible 'job' I've ever held!

Thanks all for your great suggestions !