Is there a way to filter out local guests?

Elena608
Level 2
Tampa, FL

Is there a way to filter out local guests?

I have been hosting for several months now and find that 80% of guests who live locally  and book my property are end up in nothing but problems. I wonder if there is a way to filter out local guests, and if there isnt, can we please look into adding such feature?

Here is why, a few such scenario included

-prostitution: got a few of those looking for a space to conduct their business.

-the guest being kicked out  of the house by the spouse for being drunk and disorderly and ended up in my house behaving the same.

-local young people (in theyr late 20) looking for a place to take their under age girlfriends.

-People dumping their unwanted guest on me because they could not deal with their family member  cooking very smelling etnic food in their kitchen.

To simplify this, generally speaking if local people dont have friends or family wanting to put up with them, i should not have to either. Since they leave locally, it is uncomfortable to leave a bad review after the fact, because now they know where I live and it is very easy for them to come back and cause a confrontation (we are not talking about the finest here...) I would rather filter out the entire group, and miss out on the few legit reservation than having to endure another such scenario. Not to mention that If I cancel the reservation it reflects bad on me as a host, so something needs to be done to prevent the issue all together.

Any thoughts?

7 Replies 7
John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Elena0

I'm not sure how to answer your question.  I doubt there is a filter you can use.

However, if you have instant booking turned on it will be difficult to screen any guests.

Without instant booking you will have to field inquiries and at that point you can develop techniques for filtering those you don't want and try to steer them elsewhere.

In doing some reading offsite, I came across a thread where many posters claim to have no ssignificant problem with locals:

https://airhostsforum.com/t/really-never-rent-to-locals/15293

You may be dealing with a situation localized in your area.

Let us know your solution, please.

Wayne-And-Michelle0
Level 3
Charlottesville, VA

@Elena0. Your prices seem rather low for what you are offering (far less than even an inexpensive hotel, and you offer breakfast), which may attract more "troublesome" guests. If I could foist off troublesome friends or relatives for what you charge, I'd probably jump at the chance. I don't know what other hosts in your area charge, but you may want to consider raising your prices somewhat to weed out some of the less desirable guests.

Thanks Wayne.

agreed on the pricing, I decided to give the Airbnb Pricing suggestion a shot, and it lowered my pricing substantially. The second unit was just added and on that one I am offering the 20% suggested promotion, which I am regretting.

Will turn that Off as soon as the system allows.

you can click delete on any promo at any time (just can't take it away from someone who has already booked it)

OR usually when ABB offers me the option of a % off coupon, then I accept the coupon and then go into the calendar and increase my price for the dates of the coupon. Guests think they're getting a "deal" and I get what the space is worth.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

The only way to do this is thru your rules list. Think carefully about how you will phrase this rule. Will this be a certain city/town/county/post code? Also, ABB has no idea where someone is "from" so how exactly will you figure this out as well?

I understand the idea, but in practice it is quite difficult to police.

Other options:

-raise your rates

-have a multi-day minimum

-say that guests are not allowed to have over other guests

-don't take last minute bookings

-require guests to have positive reviews

-have some house rules that cover how you expect people to use the space

-have your listing set the stage for what kind of guest you hope to host

-get ID from your guests at arrival (or before)

Thank you Kelly for the feedback.

I do require a government Id, and I check it, as posted on my house rules manual. I will look to implement your other suggestions.

Airbnb does know where guests are from, If you were to book my space your profile would show me the same as it shows on your response here: Austin TX.

yes, that is true, that my profile says Austin, BUT people move or lie or don't list an address.

The only things that ABB knows for sure is that an email was clicked and a ccard went thru. Other than that anybody could be from anywhere.