Inconsiderate Guests Waking up Children

Helen151
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Inconsiderate Guests Waking up Children

So I am kinda new to Airbnb - we have hosted 11 trips so far and all have been great except for the one we are hosting now. 

They arrived last night and were fairly rude on arrival but I persisted on being kind. They are outrageously demanding - their daughter asked if she could stay also as it was now too late for her to go home (she also wanted power adapters and phone chargers) it was only 9.30 at this time and I did offer to take her home but she said no she wanted to stay here.  Next they all took 20 minute showers - in total the shower was on for just over an hour. Then the noise started. I actually have no idea what they were doing but doors were slamming and I mean slamming every 2-3 minutes. The front door was being slammed our carport door was being slammed (they were hanging out washing) - this went on till 11.15pm (At 10:15 they text me asking me if I was asleep as they would like a hairdryer) Moreover they woke not one, but two of my children. One was extremely distressed and took me 2 hours to resettle. They now want me to take them to University this morning as they have no cash and no bus card. I am beyond annoyed with them and really think they should go to a hotel if they are going to be this inconsiderate.

What are my options? My house rules state that we have kids and to be considerate with noise but really I never have had to deal with anything like this. 

13 Replies 13

You are the host and it is your house - tell them "No, I'm so sorry but I am not able to take you to the University.  Please call a cab. "  

Then remind them that you have children and you cannot have a repeat of last night's noise.  Hopefully you charged them for the additional room as you have noted in your listing since their daughter stayed overnight.  Your listing says the washer and dryer are off limits so what were they hanging outside?  

You do not need to be a pushover in your own home. Stand firm, voice your concerns and ask them for consideration as guests in your home. 

Thank you for your response. It was really helpful. I told the daughter this morning that the amount of noise they made last night was unacceptable and if it doesn't stop I will have to contact airbnb and get their booking cancelled. Apparently they were handwashing...I have no idea what was going on but it was the noisest handwashing I've heard in my life 😉 

I must admit, I think I have been too kind to them. I offered to take them to the Uni this morning at 8:45 (to fit in with the babies sleep) after i had dropped eldest son off at pre-school. However, they weren't ready at 8:45 because they were "enjoying their breakfast"... at which point I said fine, you are going to need to find an alternate route to uni... they then quickly finished and jumped in the car. It's so incredibly frustrating. I do like to help people but this is ridiculous...i suggested a cab and they said they're too expensive. Sigh! 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Helen151

Let me guess, you didn't charge them extra for the daughter?

Newer hosts haven't developed the hosting muscle needed to not get  doormat burnout.

It helps to imagine yourself as head of a hotel used to fielding all kinds of requests.

And even turned down requests are done with charm and friendliness, but if it's a NO, there is no negociation.

It helps to peruse this forum. It helps to imagine certain potential situations or requests and how as a hotel person would you field them. 

That being said, also remember that even if you are running a little business out of your home, YOU are the owner and YOU make the rules. What helps is to go through things on arrival with guests. You repeat house rules or other important things because guests most often DO NOT READ. 

You won't get around talking to them about their entitled attitude. It also sounds as if the daughter is the real guests' speaking instrument. I were you I would go directly to the parents who are your guests.

Try to find a humorous way to do it. But if they 'forget' again the next day, tackle it again.

Doing nothing will encourage those guests prone to hitting on weakness to really rub it in.

Tell them that transportation is unfortunately not part of the booking fee. Can't they use Uber?? This very much sounds like a ploy to see how far they can stretch your boundaries or how well they can walk over you while inhaling the intoxicating smell of the newbie host going far too many extra miles for (undeserving) guests...

And so that they don't slam you with an unfair refund request, keep exchange of critical things on the booking messages. Repeat conversations you had with them face to face. These messages are open to Airbnb and they will look into them if guests make (unfair) accusations. Always stay factual, how you intend to solve things if there was a complaint. Or reminding them of certain issues and again sending the exerpt of your House Rules pertaining to this.

BTW, Instant Book might work for you, and many hosts not renting any part of their own home are happy with it, but you do lose all ability to vet your guests and deciding whether or not they are a good fit. It's usually recommended by experienced hosts not to turn it on before they haven't hosted for quite a while.

Helen151
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Thank you so very much for your advice - it was so helpful. Yes, you are right, I didn't charge them extra - and after seeing her scoffing down breakfast as well I should have absolutely charged them. Kiwi's have an almost detrimintal habit of not wanting to offend anyone but I will have to put my big girl pants on and be tougher! I love the hotel analogy. I will use that for sure.... I'm getting my friend to write a message to the guests in Chinese so that I can feel confident that it isn't a language issue.

You can make the adjustment for the extra guest through airbnb.

please keep a record of your many requests to them as you may need that too.

we have had a similar experience with a similar group and I felt it was a very well

planned technique .

Thanks Graham and Michelle 🙂 Do you mean I need to document all her extra requests or my reinstatement of the rules? 

Cheers,

Helen

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

When it comes to it any rules are only worthwhile to the extent you will enforce them.

David
Liv6
Level 3
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Hi there I am new as well, I would support the comments from others - its ok to say no and with politeness/humour remind them of house rules/ your listing details / philosophy of Air bandb. Rise above it  - cool politness !!!! Appreciate it is so easy to type  rather than do it when your little ones have been disturbed !!!!!!!!

Liv6
Level 3

Love the big girls pants - yeah go you. I guess its part of the experience, my daughter is at an international school and she has learnt quickly how different 'manners' are plus my sister in law hosts a lot of chinese students and clear, direct and straightfoward works well. Its easier for me as I don't also live at my air band b all the time so I can have that distance. Go you and hats off as your way ahead of me !!!

Helen151
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Haha - i'm hoping it works. I was quite clear this morning and she just kept laughing. I repeated that it wasn't very funny and if they did it again I would be asking airbnb to cancel their booking... she continued to laugh. That's why I am getting it put in her language as I suspect it could be a comprehension issue (or maybe a pretend comprehension issue... maybe that's a bit harsh!) 😉 

Liv6
Level 3

Hi there, I think the translation is a great idea - plain and simple. Its too much in your home and for the family. My dear sister in law is my supporter but because they have been through it with students and bandb guests. Generally people are lovely and interesting  - these guys just dont get it. Hopefully the translation will make it clear.

You can absolutely still charge them for the extra guest - it's right in your house listing that you do and you are entitled to be compensated for things you've listed are extra.  Use the Resolution Center to request these funds.  

You cannot be afraid of your guests and telling them "no" or "stop".  If it were your child you would not allow for this behavior, why would you from grown strangers in your home?  The key is tact and tone.  If you read enough of my posts, I'm a pretty straight shooter, not too much by way of gloss and diplomacy, and we've not had a guest yet complain that we were too harsh or judgemental.  We've had some that didn't like being told no, but that's life.  Don't feel like you have to give your guests every whim they request.  There's an old phrase, "Failure to plan on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part."  So sorry that you think cabs are expensive, there's nothing I can do to help you in this regard.  

Recently had a guest instant book and requested to check in at 9:30am.  We've posted that check in starts at 2pm.  So, sorry, no, we can't help you but if you'd like to book the night before so you can check in when you want, send along a reservation change.  She actually told me it wasn't "fair" that she would have to book for another night so she could get off her red eye and clean up before heading to a 10:30 meeting.  Well, she's not entitled to more than we've advertized - the listing is pretty clear what is included and blocking off the night before to accommodate for an early check in is not one of them.  She lost her fees when she cancelled and I don't feel a bit of remorse for her or her likely indignation at that "fairness".

I love your quote - I will use that, not just with airbnb! Thanks for all the advice - i totally appreciate it. I was very firm with her this morning, so hopefully that will do the trick. If not, I will address it again in the morning and then contact airbnb and get the booking cancelled. 

In regards to payment I'm not sure i can request funds as I didn't actually give her the other room. Just extra bedding etc... to bunk in with her parents which is what she wanted to do. What I am not so happy about was the fact that she showered and took breakfast (without asking whilst I was dropping my son at preschool). So whilst I would like to charge something, I'm not sure that I can charge the full $30.00 but maybe i can. I certainly won't be allowing her to stay any additional nights.