I suspect an extra guest stayed in my place

Katherine30
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

I suspect an extra guest stayed in my place

I am fairly new to hosting on Air BnB. I started hosting last month and have had 3 reservations so far. Everyone has been very respectful and clean, so no complaints there.

However, I suspect a guest I had this weekend who was traveling alone had at least 1 extra guest stay with him at my apartment. I left him 4-5 guest bath towels, all of which were used when I returned. The guest was only here for 36 hours. Now, I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt...it was a super hot weekend here in DC, so maybe he really did shower 5 times in two days, in which case his only fault would be being wasteful (using 4-5 clean towels for 1 person). Because I was suspicious, I checked the shower drain carefully for long hairs and did find a few. He was a single guy attending a wedding in the area, so it's possible he brought someone back from the wedding overnight, which is gross to think about, but whatever, that's why I have separate guest sheets...

Should I ask him if he had extra people stay with him, or just let it go? I don't want to come off as accusatory, and I don't know if I have any recourse in this situation, or if I should even bother. (I do charge for extra guests). Thoughts from more experienced hosts?

4 Replies 4
Geneviève9
Level 8
Montreal, Canada

I think I would just let it go - it happened to me before and as frustrating as it was, that is what I had decided to do.  Nothing was broken or damaged, so I had decided I would rather have the good review than a fight 😉

Dusty2
Level 2
El Paso, TX

I'd let this instance go.  If he was otherwise a good guest I don't see what the  problem is.  I'd install a security camera pointed at the front door.  You have to disclose it in your listing description of course.  It will not only give you peace of mind, it should discourage behavior that violates your rules.  Also state clearly in your rules, no guests who aren't on the reservation.   You will be able to see when your guest checks in and out and if they bring in something they shouldn't like an extra guest or a pet.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

With the others on this - you have no proof - and I think if you are getting to the stage of searching for DNA in plugholes then a non-event like this will completly pale into insignificance if you actually have a bad hosting experience. 

Onwards to the next reservation...good luck

Dissenting opinion here.... you need to come up with a way of asking guests if they followed the rules when you are not on the property.  There is no shame is asking if he had someone stay with him because as a host you have a right to charge him for that guest (you say right on your profile there is an additional fee).   Being upfront will help develop your confidence as a host and it will make you less inclined to act like Inspector Kluso trying to deduce from hair evidence that a second person was there on your own.   Just my two cents.  

Alice 

BTW, you might want to only leave 2 towels next time 🙂