I Want to change number of bedrooms available from 4 to 3

Caroline1082
Level 1
Killiney, Ireland

I Want to change number of bedrooms available from 4 to 3

My house is advertused as 4 bedroom, I have 6 guests arriving next week. I asked them if 3 double beds is okay, they said yes. Can I now lock another bedroom leaving 3 double rooms available? I’m a first time hoster

6 Replies 6
Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

I wouldn’t risk it. You place is supposed to be as advertised. If it’s not, it gives guests grounds for requesting refunds. What you can do is set it to 3 bedrooms for bookings going forward. Or you could say in your listing that for parties under X number of people, the 4th bedroom will be locked.

Though you can’t always be sure who will be sleeping together.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Caroline1082 

You are offering an entire house. So then it is not okay to "disable" 1 bedroom. Unless guest is OK with it and receives also a discount because of that. But such a communication must be in the Airbnb message system for future reference in case some trouble shows up.

Best regards,

Emiel

Caroline1082
Level 1
Killiney, Ireland

I’m offering a 4 bed house, it’s actually 5 bed and one room will always be locked. If I leave a fourth room open then they have access to 8 beds so could bring more people 

Is the 4th bedroom pictured in your listing? If so, then I think you need to leave it unlocked for these first guests. Then you can think about how to word your listing in the future. I’d leave a mattress protector on the bed, but don’t make up the bed with linens. Keep the linens in a drawer in the room. Keep the  door closed but unlocked. Hopefully they’ll get the hint.

What you don’t want is a situation where guests call up Airbnb and tell them they thought they were getting a 4br house, but one of the bedrooms was locked.

If you are allowed in your area, I suggest you get a camera mounted near your front entry on the outside, and quick. With that many beds and bedrooms you are prime for people to book a few and bring many more. Unless you are right on site to keep track of them, it’s going to be hard to prove. I’m in the United States and we are allowed to have cameras no problem, just make sure that it’s disclosed in your listing if you do get one, if your country and county allows it. It really will be a lifesaver and reduce stress!

Caroline1082
Level 1
Killiney, Ireland

Thanks for replies. I don’t have and bedrooms pictured in the listing. I did message the person coming and asked if 3 double beds was okay and she said yes. That’s why I was thinking I could lock the single room. 

No camera unfortunately Ava, I won’t be able to get one up in time