How to find licensed Airbnb in Honolulu?

Dina496
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

How to find licensed Airbnb in Honolulu?

Hi all,

I will be visiting Hawaii for the first time in February and will be staying for a week. I would love to book a studio or a room with access to a kitchen since I’m planning to travel around Oahu as well and my nightmare is to be stuck in a Waikiki beach hotel. But because of the new bill it’s illegal to rent out Airbnb without a license (that was going to be a lottery of licenses in October?). I’m worried I will be booking an illegal place and then have nowhere to stay when I arrive. How can I know that the places are legal? Would it be rude to ask them? If anyone know some places that have a license that I can safely book, please let me know. 

Thanks!

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dina496  Hosts in various places where licenses are required will usually state so in their listing desciption, and list their license number. But you'd actually have to look at each listing to determine that, as far as I'm aware there isn't any filter you can use for it.

No,I don't think it's rude to ask, it's a legitimate concern. It would only come across as rude if you just solely asked "Do you have a license to operate?" which sounds like some accusation, or even could make a host wary that you are some kind of govt. inspector. Just ask politely, stating the concern you mentioned, while at the same time volunteering some info about yourself and asking any other questions you might have about the listing.