How to deal with misuse of AC

Somma0
Level 1
Mumbai, India

How to deal with misuse of AC

Hi, 

Happy to be here with you all.

I am a Super Host consecutively for last 3 quarters. 

In these last 9 months I have experienced difficulty with some guests not using the ACs mindfully. Despite mentions in House rules, signs placed inside home, gentle reminders and requests on Whatsapp, some guests often misuse the AC in many ways, such as running it at very low temperature such as 18 C, running it keeping interconnecting doors and windows of the room open, leaving the ACs on in the rooms they were not using, leaving the room/apartment keeping the ACs on. It causes huge electricity bills not recoverable form the rent. And it also can damage the AC compressor and replacing it would be a very costly expenditure. It is not possible to keep a check all the time on AC discipline practiced by the guests. 

Can someone suggest what to do or how to manage this issue?

It would be of great help. 

Looking forward,

Somma

8 Replies 8
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Somma0 Installing a smart thermostat can avoid some of the issues. You can set the thermostat to be remotely controlled only through Wi_Fi.

There are some hosts who charge electricity usage from guest. That can help I some ways too.

Thanks Alice. We have installed some home automation system to remotely monitor the AC usage and  automatically shut it off when the inter-connecting doors open. We have also put signage.

Diana259
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

I bought thermostats that guests can control, but only in a certain temperature range. I don't feel like i can stop them from using air, but I certainly can stop them from setting it at 60 degrees....

Thanks Diana for sharing that.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Thanks for sharing..

Md-Mizanur1
Level 10
BSB, Brunei

Hi Somma

You can make smart card for your home or room like 3 or 5 star hotels are using at this moment. When guest check in the home they have to insert the key to gain the power and when they go out they will take the key after few second all the power will cut off except emergency light and passage light.

In other way when the guest check in must attend a host and greet them and explain nicely. Act like a friend and hope they will act like same behavior to you. If they break the rules or disobey your instruction you can review it to their profile and  later on they understand their mistake and correct themselves.

You may put some digital signage in the common area so the guest can view time to time and remind them what to do and what not to do.

Thank you

Mizanur Asia

Thanks a lot!