Booked guests who’s already broken rules

Andie115
Level 1
High Point, NC

Booked guests who’s already broken rules

I have a guest who claims she just saw the 5 person limit I have for overnight stays, even though it’s the first criteria listed. Then she says she’ll have additional visitors coming in and out for dinners and such. She’s scheduled for 11/8 check in. The property is very, very small, only one bathroom. I’ve already had one awful person lie to me and show up with extra air mattresses and 9 people, more coming by the hour. She gave me an undeserved review and trashed the house. Airbnb penalizes for canceling booked guests, but I have clearly been misled. Ideas? I don’t want another bad review.

11 Replies 11
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Andie115 

Airbnb ToS

"...

8.3.3 You may not bring any additional individuals to an Experience, Event or other Host Service unless such an individual was added by you as an additional guest during the booking process on the Airbnb Platform.

..."

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Andie115 

Be friendly and firm and keep all communication on the AirBnB app. 

It's always important to read the entire listing before booking an AirBnB and I'm sorry that you didn't see that we have a 5 person maximum. You are welcome to cancel your reservation and find a nearby place that can accommodate your group of 6 or I can suggest some places nearby for that 6th guest to stay. Please note, that our cancellation policy will be in force. To be clear, we have a strict limit of 5 for overnight stays and this 6th person can *not* spend the night. Please let me know what you would like to do. 

The problem is always CS, though. If they get involved, they can do whatever they want to I would try to keep it between you and the guest if at all possible. Do not cancel for them and don't "accept a cancellation" (or whatever the message says now).

@Andie115 

I agree with @Emily487. Talk her into canceling since your listing can now not accomimate her group size. She would be more comfortable somewhere else or she can stay and comply with the listed guest count. The problem is that if this guest does check in and you know that there are more than the 5 guests, Airbnb will do nothing for you other than relocate the guest and give them their money back. They will still be able to review you.

As a side note, I would decrease your total guest count to a max of 4. Where does the 5th guest sleep?

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Andie115   I would try to get her to cancel, because it sounds like she's going to be having a lot of guests in the house.  I would also recommend that you add to the house rules that no one who isn't part of the reservation is allowed on the property w/out your permission, I didn't see that, and this gives you the ability to prevent 'dinners' that are really parties.  

I agree with @Emily487  to be as sweet and polite, even apologetic, you're so sorry, but the space is simply too small for more than 5 people, and you don't think she would be happy in the space.  I think you might be able to get airbnb to cancel w/no penalty, but do that as a last resort, absolutely do not cancel yourself.

Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Andie115 

Take a look at my House Rules for some inspiration.

https://www.airbnb.com.br/rooms/13549789

Ricardo

Meu Perfil.

Following because this has happened to us several times.

Can someone explain how cancelling affects things? I see a couple of people referred to be being a last resort...? And not to get CS involved? We’re relatively new hosts so learning more as we go...

@Damian-And-Miriam0 

"Can someone explain how cancelling affects things?"

Screenshot_2019-10-30 Progress - Airbnb.png

Ricardo

Meu Perfil.

@Damian-And-Miriam0   You lose superhost status for one year, you are charged by airbnb, and the 'host cancellation' will appear under the review section.  It also probably affects the search ranking, but I don't know that for a fact.

Good to know! We’ve had a few situations where someone has booked and then wants to change the dates and have asked us to cancel so they can rebook. Will have to bear that in mind!

@Damian-And-Miriam0 

Just to clarify:

(a) If you decline a "Inquiry" you hurt your metrics (the pic I posted before)

(b) If you  cancel a "Reservation" you are penalized ("...You lose superhost status for one year, you are charged by airbnb, and the 'host cancellation' will appear under the review section...")

Ricardo

Meu Perfil.

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Andie115 @Damian-And-Miriam0  

If they are breaking a house rule, then you have the right to ask them to leave - but if you ask them to leave, contact CS first.

You can have CS cancel a reservation on your behalf and this DOES NOT go against you in anyway. 

I had a guest break a house rule (smoking inside) and they would not stop. CS contacted the guest and first tried to resolve the issue, however the guest did not want to follow the rules, so he was told  by CS the stay was being cancelled and he was asked to leave the property. ABB cancelled the reservation for me (and it went against the guest for not following rules - not me). 

This would be the same case. 

If she does not want to follow the rules with the amount of guests you allow you can first try talking to her about it and let her know you are very firm on how many people are allowed. If she does not listen, you can let CS know that she is breaking a house rule and if she has more than 5 guests let them know you are *uncomfortable* with these people staying in your accommodation. Key word *uncomfortable* CS likes to hear that word. 

Good luck! 🙂