How to compel a refund from a host?

Brent113
Level 1
Houston, TX

How to compel a refund from a host?

To secure a bigger discount for an extended stay, I booked a room for 29 days with a host in Houston who misrepresented the safety of the area and the proximity of their property from known landmarks that I was comfortable knowing were safe.  I arrived with immediate concerns.  I never entered the property, spoke very briefly to the host on their ring doorbell as he dashed off to a meeting.  I expressed conce4ns for my health and welfare knowing I would be arriving late hours and leaving very early some days. I also own a very nice BMW that would likely not survive a couple nights without a break in.  Airbnb said the host is not obligated to refund me, and the host immediately postured to have me cancel and would “consider a refund” afterwards.  

I waited 2 days, the host and Airbnb support went silent and then I canceled with a couple messages pleading them to refund.  They’ve refused and after I said I was going to retain an attorney to take them to court, the said I’ve voilated an extortion caluse.  They’ve basically stolen $1600 from me without recourse.  What can I do?

1 Reply 1
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Brent113 - Was the listing in a different location to the address supplied on booking, or the map location? If the answer is yes, you need to get on to CS ASAP and state this.