How to change the phonenumber ?

Simon2366
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

How to change the phonenumber ?

Hi there,

I am staying in another country. When I first got here, my account was blocked because it was used from another country. At this stage, I had to receive a pin on my mobile phone, which didn't work out, as I already used a different phone number from the country where I was staying. With some mails to the customer-service, I got my account unblocked again. That was one month ago. Since then I have been trying many times to change my phone number to the one I have here at my place. But all the time when I try to change it, including the verification code, all I get on my phone is the following sentence:

"Airbnb Pin. Never share your code with anyone-Airbnb emplo..." The Message comes either from the number "2365" or"3278" which is also not an AirBNB pin.

I do have to change those numbers as my account might get blocked again as soon as I travel to another country. This will happen next month and I won't have any data there and do not want to get into the situation being booked and having several rooms without getting logged into my account.

Any ideas of how I can change my number?

12 Replies 12
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Simon2366 & welcome to ABB CC from across the miles in Auckland, New Zealand.

I think you will find that the txt alerts ABB that are used via a Messaging system include those various numbers you mention with a PIN/ Password number access & they are also used for other businesses txt alerts.

Some of those Txt Msging alert companies have quite a few various clients.

You may need to contact ABB Customer Services before you arrive in those countries you are traveling to, or use only the email alert system settings whilst traveling which works just as well if your phone is on sync.

All the best

Hi, I contacted already the service. In both cases they were talking for around a week with me and I tried a few times without any result. After 7 days they closed the case without any result.

I had a German number before with a German contract. This contract doesn't exist any longer. (since two weeks now). I already tried changing my phone number by late September and since than I can not change it or even add any other number. Here in NZ I got a contract from Vodafone and want to switch to that number. I type it in and every time in the verification process I get the same message without any code inside:

"Airbnb Pin. Never share your code with anyone-Airbnb emplo..."

The message always ends with those three dots "..."

not a single code inside

@Simon2366  If you are trying to do all this with the phone app, I suggest you try to change your phone number by opening up your account on the desktop version. Many things Airbnb apparently work better on a computer (use Chrome or Firefox browser).

Hi Sarah,  I tried it on my regular MacBook and also in the app on my phone. For today I had my three try-outs already.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Simon2366  Do you have email notifications checked on your Airbnb account? I have both email and phone number (text message) checked to receive alerts and notifications. It's possible that the code they say they are sending you isn't coming through on your phone, but it may come through in an email. That has happened to me before.

Otherwise, it would seem you need to get back in touch with Airbnb customer service and get them to sort this out. I'd say you've had to spend way too much time on what should be a simple thing.

Thanks Sarah, but I also haven't received any code trough my mail.

It may be the result that my account was blocked by the end of September cause I logged in for the first time here in New Zealand. A message got send to my old phone number to verify but I never verified through that message. This number was my old phone number from Germany and I wasn't using that sim card at this moment. I just asked the service to unblock my account without the verification and they unblocked the account told me to change the number as soon as possible. So I logged in and since then I try to change my number to the new one from New Zealand. By now my old German Contract came to an end by mid of October. So this old number is not working any longer.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Simon2366  Well, as Airbnb is an international platform, with tons of guests who travel all over the world, I'm sure it's fairly common that guests may change SIM cards when they go to another country. It just doesn't seem like it should have to be this problematic to change your phone number. And i don't understand why Airbnb CS can't just help you change the phone number, instead of talking to you for a week and closing the case. If you haven't already, try contacting them through Twitter, which is said to get the best results.

Have you tried just adding the new phone number to your account (there's a box for a second number), rather than trying to change the one that's there now? Then you can delete the original one.

Yes, I tried it to add one number beside changing too

I do not have twitter. Will start a new service request now as well.

Simon2366
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

Just for future reference:

I got it now.

The option with the "call" is usually not given when entering a Number from NZ. The American customer service somehow released that one so I was able to pick up a call and hear the code. This one worked out and my NZ number was accepted.

But thanks Sarah 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Simon2366  Glad you got it sorted. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Simon2366Where in New Zealand are you visiting?

Great you got the phone number sorted.

Remember of you are on PrePay phone to make the most of Fantastic Fridays deals, including extra data & sometimes free international & local minutes

It would be great to catch up if you are in Auckland & fits in with us.

Enjoy your travel

Cheers

Central To All Home & Location

https://www.airbnb.co.nz/rooms/23257352

Hi Helen,

I did get a Friday deal for my Vodaphone contract.

I am currently working in Auckland and haven here already for a couple of weeks. I stay here in a full apartment until next year. I already planed a bunch of different travels through the upcoming weekends (South Island of NZ, Australia, Fiji, Cook Islands etc...). But thanks for your offer.