How do you evaluate potential guests?

Answered!
Robert6322
Level 2
Hastings-On-Hudson, NY

How do you evaluate potential guests?

Is there a way to see how past hosts have reviewed them? 

How can you find out what they are like?

What are some good ways to determine if the person staying at your place will be careful and courteous?

1 Best Answer
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Robert6322,

You can install the AirReview extension on the Chrome browser, and you will be able to see all reviews left for and by guests.  There are quite a few previous threads about guest vetting.  If you've not done so already, I suggest that you do a search at the top of the page for 'vetting'.

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Robert6322 

Access their profile and read past reviews.

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Thanks Ricardo

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Robert6322,

You can install the AirReview extension on the Chrome browser, and you will be able to see all reviews left for and by guests.  There are quite a few previous threads about guest vetting.  If you've not done so already, I suggest that you do a search at the top of the page for 'vetting'.

Thanks so much, Debra.  I figured that this must be a common topic, but I couldn't find existing Conversations.  I will use "vetting" as a key word. 

And I'll check out that AirReview.  I have stayed as a guest several times; but I haven't been able to find my hosts' rating/evaluation

of me.  Are you saying that the only way I can do this is to install AirReview?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Robert6322,

I think that the AirReview plug-in is a convenient tool to easily see review information.  The only other way that I am aware of is to open a guest's profile, and see the reviews that they've received.  Then click on the host's profile to find the review that the guest left.  Some hosts have a lot of reviews, and Airbnb doesn't list them all chronologically.  So, the search for reviews can be tedious.  With AirReview, you click on the guest's profile and can see the reviews for and from the guest for each stay that has been reviewed by at least the host or guest.

Debra300_3-1663113620812.png

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

It's a difficult one for sure, Normally we never have a problem, a couple of months back had a guest with lets say 5 previous reviews that were good, but for us she turned into the guest from hell my husband threw them out after 2 days that was the first time we have had to do that.

Thanks.  The "previous reviews" were what they wrote about their stays, not what hosts wrote about them, is that right?

I am considering putting a property up for rent, but haven't done it yet; so I don't yet know firsthand what kind of control I have.

Don't the hosts rate the guests??  E.g., did they damage furniture?  Did they leave an unusually bad mess? Etc.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robert6322 

Yes, hosts can review and rate guests. If the guest has reviews from hosts, those will appear on the guest's profile. All you have to do is click on the 'view profile' link when you receive a booking request.

AirReview is just an easy tool to see BOTH the reviews the guest has received and the ones they have left for their hosts in one place. These will also appear on the guest's profile, but it's a Google Chrome add on, so you need to use Chrome as your browser.

Some guests won't have any reviews showing on their profile, either because they haven't booked an airbnb before (they still might have been part of a group where someone else booked) or because previous hosts did not leave reviews.

Hosts also give guests star ratings as part of the review process. However, these do not appear on the guest's profile. In fact, the guests cannot see these at all. But, you, as a host, can see the star ratings which will show when a guest contacts you about booking/instant books.

Robert6322
Level 2
Hastings-On-Hudson, NY

Thanks so much for your excellent and very helpful response.  I now know that - even though I can't see my guest rating -- when I am a host I will be able to see the ratings of prospective guests.   That is really good to know.  I was considering whether or not it was a good idea to fix my place up with nice furniture, which I would like to do because I'm going to use it as well.  Now I think I could do that if I'm very selective about the guests I allow. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Robert6322,

I suggest that you furnish your space appropriately for the nightly rate that your place will garner.  There have been hosts who've reported that a guest spilled something and stained on a rug worth thousands, or stained high-end sheets and towels, or damaged expensive furniture or electronic items, etc.   Please note that Air Cover rarely pays out for claims, and when they do it's for an amount that they've accessed as the depreciated value.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robert6322 

That is an interesting question. As @Debra300 mentioned, it kind of depends on your market and your rates, because there are going to be breakages and damages (more frequently than one would consider general wear and tear with a rental) and, in my experience, the majority of guests will deny the damage, become hostile and leave a bad review if you bring it up.

It's tricky and there is no guarantee of reimbursement whatever Airbnb tells you. You might get lucky with that, or you might not. You can take out additional insurance, just make sure it covers STR rentals.

Personally, I do have nice furnishings in my listings, but I am a live in host, so I have a bit more control over what is happening there. Still, things do get damaged more often than I would like. I've only ever put in one damage claim to Airbnb, which was successful and actually very straightforward, but I haven't bothered with the smaller ones because it's become such a hassle dealing with customer services the past couple of years.

Robert6322
Level 2
Hastings-On-Hudson, NY

Thanks so much for your helpful advice.

@Robert6322 

There are many things to take into consideration, All of us host have our different ways of doing things as you will learn, Please do participate in the CC there are people here with a wealth of information,

As a host you take a chance with every guest, it's up to you how you judge it, a couple of months back we had a guest who had one really bad review the rest were good, we let him book he turned out really good and he booked again. 

You will learn there are Red flags, We never do self check in we always meet the guest, Thats where a lot of trouble stems from, and a lot of guest like how we meet them, with some if they need help getting here i offer a luxury minivan service, they love it.

We dont do one nights stays, we live on a party island, what I mean a guest wants to book a high end pool villa for one night you know whats happening.

All little things but can add up,

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sudsrung0 wrote:

We never do self check in we always meet the guest, Thats where a lot of trouble stems from, and a lot of guest like how we meet them

@Sudsrung0  I agree with you. Airbnb tells us that guests prefer self-check in, but I wonder what data they are basing this information on. My guests mostly seem to appreciate the in-person check in and often comment positively about it in their reviews. I can't remember the last time I scored less than 5* for check in.

Then again, I am a live in host, so my guests are expecting to meet me. However, of the airbnbs I have stayed at (not homestays), only one had self check in (because the host was at work), which I didn't mind, but I much preferred being greeted on arrival at the other places, even if it was only briefly. 

I think that guests have a better attitude towards the property if they have met the owner/host.