High demand area in Toronto

Elham4
Level 2
Richmond Hill, Canada

High demand area in Toronto

Dear whoever reads this, I would like to know if I want to buy a condo strictly to use for airbnb so I can get some income, what specific area in Toronto or GTA or downtown Toronto would you recommend that would be highly demanded area so I don't have to worry and I would always have guests, I know this might be a hard question but I know I can be a great Host so that is not an issue, I just need to know where to buy it and would one bedroom or studio would be better choice. I know every bussiness has it's risk, but my situation is abit different, I have a child who has been battling Leukemia and as a result I have lost all my three part time jobs and he is disable now as a result of Bone Marrow transplant so something flexible job like this that I don't need to leave him at home and go for job would work for me and he will have few main surgeries so I really need to make this work and find a good place that if I prepare every thing i would constantly have guests and I can get some income at the same time, I would very much appreciate your help and expertise in this matter, also if you can also tell me what to watch for when buying for example I know some condo do allow in their contract to use for airbnb and some they don't allow so kindly let me know if there are things like this that I need to know

Kindest Regards

4 Replies 4
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Hello @Elham4

Have you tried searching on airbnb for the places with most comments in your area ? May be a great place to start

hi Lilian,

where on the site do you go to check places with most comments for a particular area? thanks

BobB0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Hello Elham,

Understand your situation. Most new condos in Downtown don't allow renatls shorter than three months. If you are looking, I would suggest an older one bedroom along Young line may be close to Sheppard.

I am in a bit of a situation because by tenant had put my downtown unit on airbnb and I am trying to find ways to stop it.

Good luck to you.

BobB

Regards,
BobB
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Elham4  I just want to give you a lot of food for thought because I think this is a situation that could possibly make your finances worse.

1. Buying a suitable condo anywhere in this market, unless you’re an all cash buyer, can be quite expensive. First, it would be an investment property so 10-20% down, a higher interest rate and substantial closing costs. 

2. STR is not an easy-peasy, passive income as you think. Even the best STR may not be filled every month to guarantee covering the mortgage on it. Even the best host can get just one scamming and/or lying guest that can get host suspended for days or even several weeks while airbnb slowly investigate the situation. Some reasons for suspension, whether true or not, can be an undisclosed camera, bed bugs, guest partying, to name a few. And, even if the allegation proves false, the host is not compensated for the loss income from both refunding the guest or having their calendar blocked. 

3, Your STR could get damaged. There is Aircover, but if you read hosts’ complaints on here, it’s best to have your own insurance covering damages in addition to your required owner’s insurance, which will be higher because the owner doesn’t reside at the property. 

4. Things need to be replaced—bed linen, towels and wash cloths, dishes and glassware. Household products need to be replenished. 

5. It’s hard work, especially if you have 1-night renters. I do my own cleaning which takes 2-3 hours and the laundry by itself is a bear. 

6. Then there’s the unknown, like the pandemic, which hurt a lot of hosts financially. 

After saying all this, I do enjoy hosting but I don’t have to depend on the income to pay my mortgage and the STR is my basement studio apt. So there’s minimal worries about guests not following house rules when they know host is on site. 

Just wanted you to know the other side before jumping on this train. 

However, which ever way you decide, do your homework, and research, read, and research and read some more.