How do you evaluate potential guests?

Answered!
Robert6322
Level 2
Hastings-On-Hudson, NY

How do you evaluate potential guests?

Is there a way to see how past hosts have reviewed them? 

How can you find out what they are like?

What are some good ways to determine if the person staying at your place will be careful and courteous?

1 Best Answer
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Robert6322,

You can install the AirReview extension on the Chrome browser, and you will be able to see all reviews left for and by guests.  There are quite a few previous threads about guest vetting.  If you've not done so already, I suggest that you do a search at the top of the page for 'vetting'.

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21

I dont know where they get that from, but who am i to dispute that?

I think you could be right about the guest having a better attitude to your property, make them feel comfortable and also here we need their details and passports, for immigration purposes.

I also think it saves a million questions coming my way after arrival. we get the odd one who doesn't listen to a word we say.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sudsrung0 

@Sudsrung0 wrote:

we get the odd one who doesn't listen to a word we say.

Same, it happens from time to time, but overall, I think the welcome tour helps to avoid a lot of potential problems. 

Also, not only do the guests start with a better attitude towards the listing, most are less likely to damage/abuse it if they have had some contact with the host/owner. They are just more respectful when there is a face/real person behind the name/avatar.

In our case it does, All our guest have traveled a long way to get here some have been here before but maybe not to this area. The main problem is the language barrier then they are happy to connect with my husband who is English and he can speak Thai,

He always tells them a few does and dont while here,

Robert6322
Level 2
Hastings-On-Hudson, NY

very helpful, thanks. 

And I can definitely imagine how people will take better care of your place and its contents when they have met you first.  They can't help but feel more personally responsible. 

We always think it's good to have some rapport with the guest, my husband is English he is good at talking to people, We like to make sure guest have a good holiday and they come back.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can also include vetting questions  as part of your booking process @Robert6322  relevant to the type of listing you have to ensure guests are a good fit.

If you use IB set it so only guests with positive reviews can book.  And don't accept same day bookings particularly from locals.

Lauren18
Level 5
Tucson, AZ

I've been with AIRBNB for 12 years, mostly as a Superhost.  I have rented rooms in my home, and now have several "Casitas" on my property that I rent on my Homestead.  Most of my stays are 2 weeks to 2 months.  Community is important to me, and I have had too many uncomfortable guests over the years to not try to vet who is coming to literally live with me.  

I've watched AIRBNB and Guests change over the years.  It used to be much friendlier,  I feel, more like B&B's used to be when I travelled in Europe.  Now most of the people who come behave as if I managed a Motel 6.  Or maybe that's just the increasing impersonality I percieve is happening in our world.   I'd love to read people's Profiles, but hardly anyone makes a Profile - just "Hey, I'm So and So".  So I look for reviews, which can be helpful, although this summer I hosted a woman with several good reviews who was a raging alcoholic and left damage, so maybe I'm the lucky host who encountered her during a psychotic break!  But mostly reviews are a good measurement, and if you take a reservation from someone who doesn't have any you may be taking a risk.

One rule that is important to me is "do they bother to introduce themselves?  Do they tell me something about themselves?"  Maybe I'm old school, but someone who plans on living in my home or on my property for a month or two months or two weeks is someone who owes me the courtesy and common humanity to tell me who they are.  If they don't do that, it tells me they think I'm a Motel 6,  and they would probably be unpleasant to have to be around.  So no introduction or profile or reviews, no rental as far as I am concerned.  12 years has taught me something