Hosts unable to see guests profile

Hosts unable to see guests profile

Hi all,

I last hosted guests in early Jan this year and have just gone back online to advertise my place on Airbnb.

I notice some changes - i.e. as the host I cannot see the guest's photo or profile....

Ok I get that I may not be able to see the profile but I should be have access to their profile and reviews.

Right?

After all I am giving a key to a stranger -who is coming into my home - and so I should have peace of mind and

comfort... but it seems with this new system - it is the guest that has all the security without much risk.

While I as the host has the risk and then if I cancel them because they have bad reviews (as I just did with one person)

then I am penalised.  

How do you all get around this and   What do you all think?  

Cheers

Sandy 

12 Replies 12
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Sandy370 

we all share your opinion and agree that it makes hosting more difficult and risky.

Airbnb thinks this is good anti-discrimination measure.

It's been a while since this "improvement" was introduced and there are many negative posts and comments about it.

Nelly192
Level 2
Woodstock, VT

Hello, this was my complaine as well after I did accept someone in dark, not seeing her picture. It was a desaster, the person was messy around herself and the apartment she left behind was even worse. All my beddings were ruined. 

I accepted her becouse what she said, she was visiting nurse coming to the area for three months. How bad a person could be????

Point Itry to make, that lots of times, the way person looks like, thats the way looks around them. If I saw the picture, I probably wouldn't accept her.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I still see a guests profile and ratings before they book, just not there photo, so am suprised you can't see the same?

There is now a book you can tick on your listing so that you only accept guests who provide a photo, which you can see on booking.

Hey thanks Helen3 for your reply.

All  I can say is wow! how can not providing details upfront about guests be considered anti-discrimination?

Really it puts our safety in jepoday - it's not right.

I will look for the listing (photo) box) to tick.

But this guy who just contacted me today - no photo and nothing on their profile and no reviews 

2 days ago I had a woman contact me - who I also could not see photo or profile and when I accepted her she had about 50% bad reviews and was given a 4 rating by airbn - I had to call them to stop the penality - I had requested good reviews.

Seems like Airbnb has really gone down hill - 

What are you doing to protect yourself or get a better service?

Cheers

Sandy

@Sandy370     It is only for hosts that 5-star reviews are good, and anything lower is a fail. 

For guests 4-stars, 3-stars are good (I have had a few guests with 'good' 3-star ratings),  possibly even 2 and 1,  who knows.

Hey thanks Ange2 for that info - I guess I was shocked 1 guest contacted me and she had a 4 star rating but 50% bad reviews - like really bad so I do not really trust the rating.  Very dissapointed wiht the new changes to Airbnb - my last time I used this service was Jan 19 

Cheers

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Sandy370 

Agreed, this change (no photo prior to booking acceptance) felt like a step backward when it was introduced, and rather scary.

But, do bear in mind, once you accept the booking, you'll see the guest's photo straight away. If you then felt uncomfortable – say, eg, the guest photo shows some kind of psycho/weirdo-looking person – you'd be able to contact Airbnb and tell them you're uncomfortable with the booking, and hopefully cancel penalty-free.

My experience, prior to the change, was that I did sometimes accept people whose photos were lacking in some way... but their profile and reviews reassured me.

My experience after the change hasn't been any different... no horror stories, so far 😉

As others have said: how much faith can you put in someone's photo anyway?

@Patricia55,  just today a guest checked out who I was really nervous about based on his photo. I never intended to cancel the reservation but I almost wish I didn't see the picture as I think my mind would have been more at ease without it. But anyway, he was the complete opposite of what I was expecting (based on his photo.) He was a great guest and left my place in much better condition than the previous guest who was a cute, well educated grandmother (by the looks of her photo.) It’s true, you never really know.

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Emilia42 

Same here, re people gurning, hiding behind beer glasses, far in the distance... even no facial photo at all... and they turned out to be great guests! Nowt so queer as folks 😉

Hey thanks Patricia55 - I reaslised from one of the other people in this thread that guests have a profile but many do not fill it in.  I do not mind not seeing their photo what is most important is the reviews and info about them - the issue with accepting them then declining them is that they get your address - which I do not feel comfortable with -  

The last guest who contacted me did not have a profile or any reviews so I sent 2 messages requesting more info without any reply so he prob went elsewereh.

Thanks 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Sandy370

It's not that you can't see the guest's profile, it's that they don't have one. A few weeks ago, I had a girl send me an inquiry asking if I an age requirement to stay since both her and her friend were 21. I told her that I could care less about her age but she might have a hard time booking a place since hosts have no idea who she is based on her empty profile. She didn't confirmed but I looked a few days ago and she has added a really nice write up about herself. I think many hosts wouldn't think twice to accept her now. I don’t care about a photo. But Airbnb should make it a requirement that guests complete some sort of profile.

Hey thanks Emilia42 - yes I worked out that I can see their profile and as you say they often have no info.  As the case of some guy who just contacted me -

Well yes I can understand you not approving that girls stay...

I am wondering when guests do not put any info in it seems they could be scammers - I really do not feel comfortable with these changes to Airbnb - no consideration for hosts - who are taking all the risks.

Yes they should make it that they do a profile - as it just means guests will get more rejections which is not good for Airbnb either !