Host refuses to return item to me

Jacquelyn17
Level 1
Washington, DC

Host refuses to return item to me

I left valuable sunglasses at my hosts airbnb almost a year ago. I have been trying to get them back ever since. He keeps saying he will send them and then says hes busy. wtf? What can I do. Airbnb keeps saying they will email and encourage him to send the sunglasses but I need them to be more aggressive about this. I feel like I should be compensated in some way for my time of dealing with this and loss of item. Please help 😞

22 Replies 22

Sarah ? Hi! I would love to consult you for legal advice ? I have a question maybe you could help guide me ?

OH WAIT . You aren’t an attorney 🤣😂🤣 so stop pretending to be one by answering so confidently as if you have a doctorate in a field you do not . Clearly he admits to having her item , as he says he will mail it , how can he mail something he doesn’t have ? As a host I'm sure he tells her how much it will be . Duh , stop being ignorant ,sounds like you’re a thief and want rules bent . So if he tells her via the app he has it yet refuses to send it even if she offers to pay him or even if she offers to send someone is it theft? His

obligation , is not necessarily to

Mail it even though he ( clearly per her statement admits to having it and states he will mail it ) but at minimum it is to provide her with it … I agree with everyone saying for her to go

get it …

@Sarah977 Sarah977 everything you comment on is shady . stop being a bully , it reflects your picture …

Jing211
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

We left an item in the Airbnb place one month ago. the host sent us the pic and said that he has it. We asked him to send it and offered to pay him the shipping fee, he said OK.  Later we asked him for updates about the shipping. He said "it should be delivered by Friday" , but never sent us the receipt or tracking No. and he stopped responding to messages. 20 days have passed, we didn't receive it. We contacted the Customer Service. The Customer Service contacted him and said the host has concern that he would not get paid after shipping the item. So obviously he didn't ship it at all! Now we sent him messages saying we would like to send him the money to Resolution Center before he ships it. He still didn't respond! 

@Jing211 This is so unfortunate that a host is treating you in this manner. It’s not mandatory that he ships anything left behind but since he said he would, shame on him for not doing so!

I had a guest leave his wedding band in shower stall and offered to pay for shipping. I mailed the package next day with tracking for less than $5 and did not ask my guest to pay a dime. Thank goodness for tracking too because even though it showed package delivered, guests didn’t receive it. When they contacted post office, wife had accidentally transposed two of the numbers in her text to me. So they went to the address where the package was delivered—about 20 houses away—and retrieved hubby’s wedding band. 

These are just small things a good Host does. I hope you get your stuff. 

The worst is that he didn't ship the item at all! He acted like that he did. We asked him for the receipt and tracking No. and offered to pay him quite a few times! No response...

What a painful experience!

I wish he were you!

Don't think we would get the stuff back...Thank you for your sharing!

The same thing happened to me. We left an iPad. Contacted the host the next day. They said when they find it, they would send it COD. A day or two later they confirmed they had it. After a couple times of me asking, they confirmed they sent it. Another couple of weeks of nothing and me asking several times for a tracking number. They said they send so many things , they ‘don’t keep track of tracking numbers’ Yeah right, that’s because you don’t send **bleep**. After being given a run around, they finally admit they didn’t send it and they don’t have it. They think it was stolen by a cleaner. Also, the host is a property management company so very unprofessional and I would have expected better.  You’d think they would have implemented some kind of chain of custody system. No iPad and no compensation.  Super pissed off and disappointed. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

hi @Teresa1824 

As this was your error why didn't YOU organise for the ipad to be picked up and pay for the delivery service.

You are right though, I would never use an airbnb that is managed by a property management company. And they have behaved badly in this case.

As they have told you one of their cleaners stole it. Ask them to cover the cost.

Alternatively claim on your travel insurance 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

I'm so sorry this happened to you @Teresa1824.

Did you report what happened to Airbnb as well?

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines