Host increased price and then cancelled

Lianne22
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Host increased price and then cancelled

Today I got word from the host of a property I booked two months ago that they werent happy with the price and wanted to increase the rate. Their reason was that they hadnt realised that Air B and B had set the rate too low, despite confirming in writing to me at the time. They claimed that they would rather have it sit empty than take the £400 we had paid for it and demanded £650. I argued that we had booked and paid a deposit in good faith and that surly they cant just demand more money, we couldnt afford a higher rate and now all the other available properties were either gone or too expensive. I asked them not to cancel and let me think about what I could do and they cancelled anyway. I cant believe that there is no protection against this, sure they get a 'host cancelled' on their  reviews and a potentiol fine from air b and b etc but what about the traveller left with nowhere to stay, no compensation whatsoever. Air B and B were like robots on the phone simply stating that the issue was resolved as I got a refund but would not accept my point at all. I am a host myself and would never try and extort more money out of a guest with threat of cancellation, its wrong and a major flaw in the system. Can I do anyting at all?

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lianne22,

It is the responsibility of a host to set correct pricing."they hadnt realised that Air B and B had set the rate too low" is complete nonsense, it shows only this host is too lazy to setup things correctly and then blames Airbnb for it. And now you are the victim and Airbnb acts as if these practices are to be considered as normal. You can report the host (or the listing) to Airbnb by using the "flag" link in it.

IMO Airbnb should help you more and also warn the host for more severe penalties if it happens again.

Best regards,

Emiel

Lianne22
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

I completely agree, when I spoke twice to Air B and B they couldnt understand my issue, I didnt have to pay the higher price and so it was my choice to allow them to cancel it. Not that the host had broken our contract by simply deciding they wanted more money.  The crazy thing is that one of the potential penalties is a $50 dollar fine which I am assuming would go to Air B and B not the poor traveller. I am devestated, I spent months selecting the perfect apartment and trusted the host to honour our agreement. Believe it or not the Air B and B rep actuallly sympathised with the host stating I didnt understand how smart pricing worked(as a host I certainly do) and that this was an unfortuante result of smart pricing, not the result of the host not checking the final and confimed price. I at least thought air b and b would offer to find me an alternative but simply said I can rebook somewhere else