Guests not following house rules

Maggie89
Level 2
Brockenhurst, United Kingdom

Guests not following house rules

I am a new host and I make it clear on my listing that I do not provide bedlinen (ie duvet covers, sheets & pillowcases) or towels.  I provide mattress protectors, duvets and pillows.  However, I have had two occasions now where guests have not brought the appropriate bedlinen and have either slept on my beds without it or in a sleeping bag!  This has spoilt my bedding and means I have to pay for my cleaner to do the laundry as well as clean.  I am nowhere near my listing, so can't see the damage for myself.  Although it seems obvious from photos I have been sent that the mattress protectors and pillows are not clean and have been slept on directly, the guests have argued that they DID use bedlinen.  If I post a negative review, they will post a negative review and this could cause difficulties.  Any advice as to how to solve this problem?  They have also refused to pay an additional charge for the laundry.

15 Replies 15
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Maggie89

The problem is most people expect to have linen provided. And, most people don't read all house rules and understand that it's not and what they need to bring.

two suggestions- either find a local company who will do it for you (hotels and guesthouses use them) or as part of the booking process make it clear in your email exchange that no linen is provided.

on a separate note, someone bringing a sleeping bag clearly understands no linen is provided and takes a portable lightweight option when travelling. 

Maggie89
Level 2
Brockenhurst, United Kingdom

Thank you for responding - yes, I do make it very clear on my listing, but as you say, guest do not always read the listing thoroughly, so I remind them when they book, explaining sizes of beds, etc.  Of course, providing bedlinen adds to the costs which I must then pass on to future guests.  I haven't written a bad review for either of these instances, though I was very tempted, as I am pretty sure they would retaliate.  I will not accept them again as guests.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Maggie89

The vast majority of hosts in the UK provide linens and towels, so I would be inclined to use a local service for this if you live remotely and include it in your rate.

If guests do read your listing, your will put off many who don't want to do this or live abroad and would find it impractical.

As you have found guests don't always read listings or messaging, so this creates problems for you and them if they turn up without something to sleep in.

By the way neither you or a guest can leave retaliatory reviews, as neither of you can see reviews until both of you publish or 14 days after a guest has stayed if only one of you leaves a review (see reviews - Airbnb help centre).

Monika64
Level 10
New York, NY

@Maggie89 I think you should know that 80 % of the potential guests do not read listings. Unless you put your most important note into your 1st line there are no guarantees that they'll read it even if you say they must read the whole listing in order to book. Believe me, I speak from experience with many "non readers" 😞

That said, I would never expect a place to be rented in the UK without bedlinen. Especially in your price range. Your cottage looks very cute and neat, I'd fully expect a set bed on arrival. You will really cut your chances of renting your property if you expect all guests to have the right size linen (what if they have different size beds, they'll never even think about buying one just for a trip).

Not sure about your laundry options but maybe you could consider providing linen for guests who request it?

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

For a modern traveler struggling with baggage fees and always trying to pack less, the idea of either packing or purchasing bed linens and towels is awful.

I don't live in the UK, so I'm not aware of your customs there, but in the US, it's expected (or implied) that a bed comes with the appropriate linens. I hosted an exchange student from Poland last year and we were both surprised about the bedding differences. Apparently, everyone there uses Duvets and Duvet Covers. Here's they're more difficult to come by, and Comfortors and Quilts seem to be the standard.

I must say that since then, I've bought duvets/covers and been happily swapping them out between guests.

@Maggie89, I'm not one ot tell you that what you're doing is wrong. It's your house, and as I understand it, you have done your due diligence in notifiying guests that linens aren't provided. But as @Kate157 and others have pointed out, many guests don't read the rules thoroughly, and they'll expect to have bedding provided.

@Maggie89, if in fact you do not provide linens, I would recommend updating your photos. Show that the bed has no linens, and put a short note about that in the photo's comments. That may make this a little more obvious for those that aren't going to take the time to read your rules.

And for any Americans reading this... duvet covers are the way to go! If you aren't using them yet, I strongly recommend them!

Alan130
Level 1
Shawnigan Lake, Canada

figure out a way to supply the linens and include it in your base price , and ensure that you have a cleaning service with key access to your place to give u the condition report as soon as guests leave.

you wouldnt stay in a hotel that doesnt supply linens would you  ,  or tell them to bring their own sleeping bags as that way you dont have to clean anything. 

I live 10 hour drive away from my listed  place , and have to depend on locals  who manage it to keep the problems to a minimum .

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Maggie89

This might sound like a simple solution, why don't you just supply bed linen and be done with it!

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

The Explorer's Club Krakow VIII

Ken28
Level 10
Newburgh, IN

@Maggie89

Another thing, regarding your comment:

"If I post a negative review, they will post a negative review and this could cause difficulties."

The guest cannot see your review until they write theirs. Feel free to write what you want without any retaliation from the guests. Just be aware that your reviews are public, and word them carefully so as not to come off poorly to future guests.

Ken28
Level 10
Newburgh, IN

@Maggie89

Another thing, regarding your comment:

'If I post a negative review, they will post a negative review and this could cause difficulties.'

The guest cannot see your review until they write theirs. Feel free to write what you want without any retaliation from the guests. Just be aware that your reviews are public, and word them carefully so as not to come off poorly to future guests.

Daniel655
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

I am not sure if you can demand guests to bring bedlinnen.

I guess you are allowed not to provide them if you have stated so in your ad. 

But it is then to be expected that guest will use the beds as is.. 

@Daniel655, I think that @Maggie89 can have any rules she wishes to (within ethical reason).

I see nothing prohibiting her from adding a rule that says "Beds are only to be used with linens, which are not provided by the host. Please provide your own duvet cover, sheets, and pillow cases."

Daniel655
Level 2
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Ken0

maybe you are right. But I dont think she actually put this in the ad. That guests are only allowed to use the beds if they bring their linnen. 

My point is merely that you cant demand a guest to bring anything. However maybe you can say if you do not then you are not allowed to use it.

But even that is a bit tricky and you can still expect guests not to listen to this since it's very uncommon. So the advice is definitely to provide bedlinnen for the guests if you wish not to have issues with the bed.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Personally, I wouldn't rent a place that came without linen. Hassle factor = huge. And as has been said, people make assumptions about the basics, of which linen is one.