Guests from the Midwest coming to New York

Andrea1282
Level 10
New York, NY

Guests from the Midwest coming to New York

I offer my second bedroom as my house as a listing.    It is a brick townhouse basement unit,  large bedroom with outdoor access.  Constructed in the 1930s. It is in New Jersey adjacent to New York City-  usually a 20 minute trip.  I provide nice array of soaps, convenience items,  and a selection of coffee for my guests.  The room has an expensive premium organic mattress-  all for  under $40,  usually under $35. 

I love my guests and actually have met some great people doing this from all over the world.    However, often when I get a guest from the American Midwest  they treat me like a butler running a cheap motel.   They complain about the space and what’s not provided even if it’s clearly stated in the listing.   They complain that it old.   They complain that there’s no parking(in a city type environment) They complain that it’s not right in Manhattan.( it clearly shows a map before they book)  One girl actually had a panic attack/meltdown  because she had to take the bus and not the subway( it’s two blocks from my house and goes right to port authority in the city where she would have a selection of subways- 20 minutes.)  

In their minds, anything less then a spanking new McMansion is a dump.   Meanwhile, my rent is probably four times more than their mortgage.   And If they’re really looking for all those things why don’t they just pony up  and find the place of their dreams?  Can’t they appreciate that I’m trying to do something nice?   Accommodations in the city are not cheap. 

1 Reply 1
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Andrea1282

different mentality , different expentations... you know it, I know it, we all know it ...and we can't fight it 🙂

After 2,5 y. of hosting we also noticed some pattern : Indian and Asian guests cook a lot,  Asian guests never complain, Americans and Aussies overuse A/C and are picky, French and South Americans don't give 5*, nobody reads etc etc...

We printed everything from our listings and left it on the table in the apartment. On the front page is the title and a cover picture of our apartment. So, in case our guests didn't read our description and assume we offer something which we don't - they can read it now.