Guest needs to pay for their trip / Awaiting Payment - after accepting booking

Answered!
Simon364
Level 4
Colchester, United Kingdom

Guest needs to pay for their trip / Awaiting Payment - after accepting booking

I've been having a few of these lately on AirBnB.

I accept a booking , and it says "guest needs to pay for their trip" and "Awaiting Payment"

I'm confused generally, as when I have booked as a guest in the past, it won't let me book anything until I actually paid. So I'm not sure how this is happening

In particular in this case - the AirBnB message is that "Augustine needs to pay for their trip. They have 23 hours to pay". But they are due in to my house in 4 hours time. Clearly i can't have the situation where the guest hasn't paid but they are already staying.

Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a superhost, and have been hosting for a while but i havent had this happen before. Many thanks

augustine.PNG

1 Best Answer
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Simon364 I’m not sure but it sounds as if you’re doing same day booking if a guest is due in 4 hours and payment hasn’t been confirmed. Something may have gone wrong (payment didn’t process) on guest CC and payment didn’t go through. I recommend in the future that you change your listing to 1 day advance notice. 

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Simon364 I’m not sure but it sounds as if you’re doing same day booking if a guest is due in 4 hours and payment hasn’t been confirmed. Something may have gone wrong (payment didn’t process) on guest CC and payment didn’t go through. I recommend in the future that you change your listing to 1 day advance notice. 

Simon364
Level 4

Thanks Gwen.

Yes its a same day booking upon request

My instant book is set to 3 days notice

But i wasn't aware that it is possible to even make a booking without accepted payment. Anytime I have booked Airbnb it won't let me make booking without confirmed payment

Simon364
Level 4

Update: I contacted superhost support. The guest has now confirmed payment

They tell me that in future, if they guest has not confirmed payment shortly before they are due to arrive , we are entitled to contact AirBnB to have the reservation cancelled penalty free

Thanks for your attention

@Simon364 This is good news!  Hooray!

What I hate about the process is that the guest has 24 hours to confirm. During this time, that date is blocked on our calendar and there’s the rare possibility that the guest won’t confirm or CC pymt doesn’t go through. 

Simon364
Level 4

Yes, or else , would come to the house and try to stay, even if the card doesnt get accepted within that 24 period