Short erm rentals

Short erm rentals

I am brand new to hosting and I LOVE it!!! I have a lake house so we are now in the off season. I had a guest request to rent month to month. The house is in Oklahoma and I just wanted to be extra careful. Is there a chance they could not pay after each month and then need to be evicted? 

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Alexis696 

I a guest does not pay a subsequent installment, Airbnb will not go after them but just inform you about it.

There are more pittfalls, so i suggest to read all articels about "long term stays"

Help on "long term stays"

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

@Alexis696 what’s their reason for booking/staying?

\ She doesn't have a picture and I didn't see any reviews for her. She said she is in weird situation and needs somewhere to stay while she figures out what she will buy.

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Alexis696 This is how you and the guest should handle it. She books for one month, let’s say Sept 22 to Oct 21. Prior to reservation ending, on Oct 16, either she or you extend her stay on the airbnb platform to Nov 21, and so forth for each month she wants to rent. This way you are guaranteed getting paid as long as her credit card has been charged. 

Now on another note. Since you are a brand new host, I would decline this request unless she has a minimum of 7 solid 5* reviews and also check how she has rated hosts in the past (min 5). The reason for this is because you need several good reviews under your belt to kickstart your business. If you rent to this guest and get a bad review, this will not be good news for your business. 

Yep, I would decline. 

Thank you so much for the information. She doesn't have a picture and I didn't see any reviews for her. She said she is in weird situation and needs somewhere to stay while she figures out what she will buy.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alexis696 The advice from @Gwen386 is fine provided she has fully researched tenancy laws in your state. If, as in many states, a months stay creates a tenancy then you could end up with having to take the guest to court to get rid of them. Without a proper tenancy agreement and/or a deposit this is likely to be very expensive I am afraid.

@Mike-And-Jane0 Good catch. Thanks

I will look it up but I believe that is the case here in Oklahoma. Thank you.