Guest left purse and belongs in unlocked car in driveway and they were stolen. Am I responsible?

Blake-and-Mattea0
Level 1
Huntsville, AL

Guest left purse and belongs in unlocked car in driveway and they were stolen. Am I responsible?

Hello fellow hosts,

I recently had a guest for 10 days stay at my property. We live in a very quite and nice neighborhood. Our guests informed us on their 9th day that they had been robbed. They had thought it had happened when they went to a rodeo but I just got a message that it happened at the house. They informed me they got a police report about a homeless man who had multiple ID’s and credit cards on him including theirs. Apparently he roams neighborhoods and checks the unlocked cars.  They left their handbags in their unlocked car. What should I do? Am I responsible? If I’m not what would be the moral thing to do? Should I refund her a night? She has not asked for anything and she left us a 5 star review. I want to do the right thing. 

Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's nice of you to be concerned.

However, why would you feel responsible because your guest chose to leave her handbag in an unlocked car. This could have happened wherever she left it.

She can make a claim on her car insurance - that's what it's for.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Blake-and-Mattea0  I would be sympathetic. Make all the right murmuring sounds. I would not even consider a refund. Why would you?

They did something really stupid. I mean, who leaves a handbag, in plain sight, in an unlocked car? Why should you pay for it?

Since it happened on my property I didn’t know if that meant it would be my insurance’s responsibility. I also boast about how safe a quiet my neighborhood is. With that being said I wouldn’t leave my car unlocked ever. She was such a great guest with such a long stay I wasn’t sure what I should do for her. 

@Blake-and-Mattea0 wrote:

I also boast about how safe a quiet my neighborhood is. 

I would stop that immediately. Safe is perhaps a given 99% of the time, but don't lull guests into thinking it is more safe than you can guarantee.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'd re-phrase the question somewhat; "Am I responsible for my guests' stupidity?" and answer it accordingly. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Blake-and-Mattea0  The guest has obviously not even attempted to hold you responsible, not asked for a refund, and left you a 5* review. So why would you even consider that you might be held responsible? Never issue or offer a refund for something that isn't your fault.

One of my guests had his cell phone and a debit card stolen on the beach when he went for  dip. He certainly didn't hold me responsible, nor would it occur to me to think I am. 

Nice of you to be concerned, though. I was very sympathetic (without being apologetic) to the guest who was robbed. What was funny is that I was much more upset for him than he was- he managed 10 Dominoes Pizza outlets and said losing the phone was fine- now his employees would leave him in peace during his holiday and have to work out any issues on their own 🙂 And he had made sure the debit card he took to the beach was one that linked to an account with only a small amount of $ in it.

When guests ask me if the 20 minute walk between my place and town/beach is safe, I tell them that none of my guests has ever had a problem, nor have I, that it's a residential area with many homes along the way, but that of course I can't guarantee anyone's safety and that they should exercise the same personal caution they would anywhere.