Guest breaking house rules airbnb won't remove?

Michelle627
Level 3
Philadelphia, PA

Guest breaking house rules airbnb won't remove?

hello all,

I decided to try hosting again on airbnb and so far am regretting it.   

i don't want to,post all the details publicly, however what is airbnb policy on a guest breaking house rules ? Can we tell them to leave?   

i have  a guest that will not leave my house .  i'm on the 8th case manager and i'm confused as to why airbnb says they will contact the guest and find him alternative housing  and contact me with an update ...only to have no one reach out to me and the guest staying yet another nite here with me. 

I have sent the guest messages and he replies late at nite , very rude acting as if airbnb has told the guest what he has done is not a violation .  he has said unless he receives a full refund for days he has not stayed here he is not leaving .

I had one case manager tell me any violation and i'm not responsible for a refund and also future funds won't be held.  Another one told me that I will have to absorb the refund because the guest can't be charged for days they never stayed.

Today i spoke with three case managers  one of which called me and expected me to go over everything yet again with him.  no resolution other than another nite of me and the guest sending msgs  

Aidbnn will not call the guest after a certain hour at night and each day i'm assigned a new case manager....and each day the guest breaks another rule.  five rules so far now.

Is it airbnb policy that a guest can break our rules and we have to let them stay?

22 Replies 22
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia
Michelle627
Level 3
Philadelphia, PA

he just came in at 4am and slammed my door and woke me up  i'm barely coherent on with airbnb 

the cops confirmed today if i let a person live here and he has his stuff then i need a court order.

no help from airbnb  

guest is msg me that he is so sorry  and there was a miscommunication 

so basically wanted to make sure i knew he was in here if waking me wasn't bad enough 

just very disturbing behaviiur   

airbnb said he has a reservation later today   

let me read yiur link   i'm just very frayed right now   alone in this house with this horrid guest

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Michelle627 

police are wrong. Short term guest is not the same as long term tenant (28 nights +)

Just one information - as an in-house living host you have a right to host just female guests. I think you can set it somewhere in your booking requirements setting.

Of course, female guests can be unpleasant and rude as well... but...

Michelle627
Level 3
Philadelphia, PA

he finally left two hours ago but not before dangling the key and saying he's not trespassing the cop said if he had a key he could stay there  and also the cop said i'm crazy .  

I contacted airbnb for like the 50th time and finally someone gave  me a supervisor...he's reviewing the case  as i'm still not paid for last nite when he squatted .

after i left my review the guest sent another abusive message to me ...last nite it was apologies and today insults and abuse   

he of course left a negative review complaining about s place he didn't want to leave 

im glad he is gone and now I can resume my life .

thanks for the support  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Michelle627  I am glad for you that he is finally gone.

But your review of him and your response to his review were unfortunate. They will both be removed due to you mentioning Airbnb's involvement in this case, leaving nothing but the guest's bad review.

Never write a long response detailing the guest's transgressions. Responses should be brief and used to correct any lies or misrepresentations the guest has made in his review. The responses are read by future guest and your response is far from professional. 

Never submit a review or response when you are fired up about a bad guest. Wait til you cool down, you have 14 days to do so, and you will be able to come up with a much more measured, yet honest review.

Sorry- not trying to make you feel worse than this guest already made you feel, but I think you need to be aware of how to write reviews and responses so they will not be removed.

Michelle627
Level 3
Philadelphia, PA

@Carlann0  I did actually do what you just wrote above but it didn't seem to work, maybe because it was 4am and the travel and safety rep was in romania.   I basically talked in a very crazy and unhinged tone with no sleep and said  someone will die right now if you do not remove this guest and you will be responsible do you understand   and i hung up and theynkeot cslling   that was when suddenly travel and safety could be reached immediately with a transfer  i didn't even know i was being tranfered.

I then told that rep similar that while he's recording the call i'm going to go and handle this in my own and mace or grab a wood block and get him out myself  and all he focused on is he thought i was recording the call    I sat silent and he hung up and kept calling  .  still without reaching the guest nothing could be done   thanks to my local police force for telling him if he had a keyhe

didn't have to leave

For whatever reason most of my reps couldn't speak english very well and with this travel and safety rep that may have played a part     i also put it in writing as well that something was going to happen and they are responsible    , most of my issues with the guest happened very late after midnight    

guest left on his own airbnb did nothing    even with my threats of violence and death 

im sorry you had to go through similar   

Michelle627
Level 3
Philadelphia, PA

here is my most recent update .  airbnb finally pulled the call where i was told i would not lose money in this booking and will be paying me , however my review of the guest has been removed because i stated airbnb was investigating him.

so he's allowed to stay on the platform and other hosts will not even know how bad he is.

im so angry and frustrated all over again.   i feel like i've been silenced ... i didn't even read the links they sent regarding the alleged violations made in my review.

take this as a warning to other hosts we are on our own they don't have our backs.   they could have easily taken out the one line where i mentioned airbnb was investigating the guest.

as i said i'm done hosting at this location as this was enough for me , but to silence me is just unreal.  

Thank you for your warning to other hosts.  Too bad you were not sufficiently informed about the Air BNB Content Policy to avoid having your review removed.