Guest Smoking In Non Smoking Unit

Mj3
Level 1
Honolulu, HI

Guest Smoking In Non Smoking Unit

I clearly had NO SMOKING listed as my first house rule AND have a no smoking sign in the property on the inside door. So sad that my guest not only smoked on the lanai, but also in the house; obviously used the stove and oven to light cigarettes (ashes and tobacco left behind) and horrible smell I cannot get rid of. I think they must have used the microwave as an ashtray storage or something because every time I use it, it smells like smoke coming out of the vent. I've used vinegar wash and all my cloth tapestries and place mats all smell of tobacco.  I am so disappointed in them for disrespecting me, but I am equally upset about all the extra work, will have to dry clean one tapestry that has leather in the weave, everything else I have to wash and I cannot seem to get smell out of microwave or placemats. Ugh.  What is a fair charge for this violation?  Can I take it out of the security deposit?  I even let them store their luggage and met them in the morning, changed my schedule to get their luggage from them at both ends of their trip so they would'nt have to carry it around with htem. 😞   They left the place neat, thanksfully. I don't want to give them a review that reflects their violation because I'm afraid they will give ME a bad review for mentioning it! Help - I'm knew to this and I want to be fair.

1 Reply 1
Pamela247
Level 2
San Diego, CA

What ever became of your damage issue? I also had this happen. Airbnb opened a claim against the Guest, then I heard -- NOTHING. Hosts, we need to talk, with Guests smoking not just cigarettes these days, this is

going to be more and more common. I would like to hear from Airbnb on this and any other Hosts who successfully charged a smoking fine. I think $500 minimum is necessary to shampoo carpets, wash all linens, air out property, wipe down walls, etc. Anyone else like to weigh in?