Guest Cancellation the day before. How does it work?

Samuel32
Level 1
Chicago, IL

Guest Cancellation the day before. How does it work?

Hi everyne, 

I am new to Airbnb as a host and I honestly would appreciate feedback from hosts and guests who may have more experince than me. 

I just had a guest cancel her reservation to stay at my place for 1 night. She was supposed to arrive tomorrow and stay from Saturday- Sunday. My cancellation terms were set as "Flexible" with check in time: 2pm -6pm and check out time: noon. The guest cancelled at 5:27 pm. 

I'm assuming I don't get paid for this cancellation since it was within the check in time frame? or was she supposed to cancel before 2pm today in order to get her full refund from Airbnb. I am really not sure how it works since this was going to be my very first guest.

Would appreciate feedback. I already read the cancellation policies but I'm still confused. 

Sam

7 Replies 7
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

It would be counted as the day before she was due to check in, I see you have upgraded to Moderate.

David

David thanks for the reply!

Yes I changed it after that because I don't want to make preparations and end up with a cancellation last minute. So in this case there is no charge to the guest correct? Aka I don't get paid the first night.

That is my understanding and why I also changed.

Be aware that ABB seem to want to move everyone to more flexible terms.

David

My policy is strict. If there is an issue the guestis forced to communicate with me, not just run away! I willoften just pay a refund myself if there is a change of arrangement, it's easier and doesn't go on the the Airbnb records. But the guest has to be forced into the negotiating position. THEN you can extend flexibility as you see fit in your terms.

Carolyn, is there any penalty to you for refunding?  In other words, do you refund their full amount and eat the ABB fees or just what was paid to you?  Is there anything else within ABB's system that tracks your refunding amounts that could ding you?  I like your strategy of setting to 'strict'.  I could live with moderate and negotiate from there. 

What I would really like to do is to set my own cancellation policy depending on the length of stay, how close they're cancelling, etc.  I had a guest cancel a 5-night visit 2 days before arrival.  It would be nice to set the policy that if the length is 5 or more nights, to moderate or strict.  But then I'd like to leave my other reservations as flexible.

Thanks for your thoughts. 

Tom

Trish13
Level 2
Torquay, Australia

Hi , I had a cancellation last night for Saturday night and it is a long weekend in Melbourne.  So now I have no booking as Airbnb did not abide by my stated cancellation policy of 5 days out.  I am really annoyed and would like to ring them.  I know there is a Sydney number does anyone know it?

Trish

I'd like to know how it works as well. I've just had a guest cancell 2 hours before!!

I can't seem to find anywhere that I will still get paid, my cancellation policy is 2 days...

A phone contact number would be good for us beginners