Difficult guest

Sabrina108
Level 3
Lisbon, Portugal

Difficult guest

Hi all,

do you think it is high time when Airbnb should take some serious steps to educate the guests who are new and educate them about what Airbnb is? 

I am so furious now as one of the guests who is new simply gave me 1 stars which was a first for me as she expected it like a hotel. All of my previous reviews were so perfect. This is absolutely frustrating. This guest said she would come at 11am and turned up at 11pm. Whole day there was no communication. She sent message at night that they are coming and my husband went to receive them in the cold. There is no greatfulness. 

Airbnb needs to take steps to educate these people properly and stop the new guests from giving a review for their first booking. 

This is absolutely not done. They simply clicked 1/2 stars without realizing the process. 

Regards

Sabrina

4 Replies 4
Thomas192
Level 3
Anaheim, CA

I agree and suggest they treat their site as a Privilege to be able to use, for both host And guest.

I am a newer host with several bookings on another competitor site and now currently have my 3rd guest staying here now.

My 2nd Airbnb guest from last month tried scamming me out of the entire fee After he and his Last minute addition "girlfriend" from South America stayed in my shared rental for 2 weeks!

They cooked 2 meals every day making a mess of the kitchen counters and floor with splattered grease etc.

The reason I was given for the booking; they would be Apartment Hunting in the area.

Ok, that's fine, but after you find one, and sign a lease, don't agree and pay for immediate move-in, then expect to renig on the contract and agreement with your airbnb host because you no longer need my room any longer since you found an apartment 2 weeks into the stay!!!!!

I explained to them, that is not how it works - can't just up and break the contract by suddenly coming up with fabricated lies about my home in order to "get out of the contract" early.   Guests can't live in someone's home, cook there meals, shower, sleep here, do their laundry etc etc. for 2 weeks, then create problems like Leaving their bedroom window (single story home) wide open, unlocked, Unsafe, Unsecure.

I ask them to close and lock all doors and windows behind them before they leave and the guest says "No, we won't do that, if you want it closed and locked, you can do it yourself"?  Who does that, says this to the host/homeowner, if they've got Nowhere else planned to stay, like their new apartment?

So long story less long - they pack n leave (no trouble with them prior to that blow up that last day) and file a claim for Full Refund!!?

Airbnb Denies the claim.   BTW, they left without returning the 2 front entry door keys.  2 weeks later i get a text from the female, telling me they're coming by that afternoon to get shoes she left here?  Neither left anything behind Except Trash in room and bathroom.

I responded to the text saying - no shoes left here, sorry.    

Today I read a Scathing Horrible Review on me and my home with lie after lie because they're angry their Scam didn't work for Free Rent and Use of someone's private shared House until other permanent housing has been found.

These scammers need to be dealt with - I would suggest these types of "tricks" and tactics used, border on the criminal?

Anyway, thanks for letting me share, I sure hope this was my Only Crazy Scammer guests, and so early into my experience on airbnb, i have a sour taste left about this whole setup, going forward now.

Their review, however incredible and unbelievably not true, still had me almost in tears to read the horrible things they made up just because their Scam did not work.

They even went so far during their litany of things wrong with me and my home, to bash Airbnb again and again for "giving their money away free".

The instigator who caused the problems was the female who attempted to be added to the booking last minute, apparently at no charge........that should've been my first clue to the problems that lay in waiting.

Anyway, YES,  Airbnb Needs to be less Concerned about Instant Bookings and threats of kicking off hosts who don't accept enough bookings, And turn their focus on Quality, Not Quantity..........if they hope to last for any length of time beyond a few years?

If enough hosts have experiences anywhere near the one i had or this OP had, and they allow it to continue unchecked, they will have a severe imbalance, of host to guest ratios, I assure you!

As I said, I am a newer host, but the quality of guest they've brought into my home is making me seriously think twice about using them as my service provider or continuing down this path as a business model altogether.

We clean our homes, and invite strangers inside - INTO OUR Private HOMES, the sanctuary where we try and shut out all the bad in the world.  

To be disrespected and treated so miserably by some transient scammers with the nerve to file a claim for full refund after living in my home for half a month,  it Disgusts me!!

What a horrible experience you had! Another problem is Airbnb's customer service which needs improvement. 

@Thomas192

Hi Thomas!

You should have involved ABB the second the last minutes addition was requested and explained you weren't safe with this and ABB would have cancelled their booking and you would've been better off.

It's always easy in hindsight I know but if guests don't comply to house rules and leaves a mess in the shared areas as they did in your kitchen even after you've corrected them you can ask ABB to take action even during their stay.

You've been really unfortunate which I thankfully haven't but I understand that it makes you think twice about your listing. But even though it can seem like a bother sometimes communicate all the rules directly to your guests and tell them that this is your private home and not a hotel as much as you can - more than once and hopefully this speaks to their sense of decency.

Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Sabrina108

This sound horrible and really unfortunate but this does happen from time to time. People can be ungrateful and ignorant but the best you can do is to just move on the next. You get really good reviews so don't worry about it.

I always say to guests that this isn't like a hotel but my private home and I hope they will respect it and respect my neighbours as well and I've never had problems. I think communication with guests is key but that being said, you can't secure your self from ignorant or disrespectful guests sometimes.