Council Tax

Samson7
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Council Tax

Can anyone advise me;

I am planning to buy a few properties to rent via Airbnb.

I will not be living there.

Do I need to pay council tax on the properties?

8 Replies 8
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Samson7 

You will have to pay business rates, it tends to be more expensive than council tax.

Figures will be available on your local council website.

Samson7
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Jeff.

Samson7
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Jeff, do you know if I will  also need to pay capital gains tax if/when I sell any of the properites after reting them out?

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Samson7 

As far as I'm aware, capital gains tax is due on the sale of any property that is not your main home.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

hi @Samson7 

If you are buying a few properties, I would suggest you engage an accountant to advise you on how best to set up your business to your best tax advantage and answer your questions around issues like capital gains.

I see you are in London, presume you know about the 90 day limit.

Samson7
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks Helen. Thats good advice.

yes I am aware of the 90 day rule.

Jayne120
Level 1
Syston, United Kingdom

Hello could anyone advise please..i am a council tennant & i know that i can have lodgers as i have asked. What about from Airbnb does anyone know? & if i,m on single oerson council tax discount do i have to pay full council tax if registered with airbnb? Even tho i may only have couple of peoole for couole of nights in soareroom? & not necessarily have any then for few weeks?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would double check your tenancy I thought you couldn't do short term rentals with a council tenancy.

Your council will be able to tell you how it might impact on your council tax discount. 

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1379/responsible-hosting-in-the-united-kingdom